Best Post of the Day!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best Post of the Day!!

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:28 pm

Post your best post of the day that you come across in your travels around Electric Sky.

Not everyone visits every section so it would be great to see some of the best stuff posted up here.

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Post of the Day!!

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:32 pm

Seren wrote:Post your best post of the day that you come across in your travels around Electric Sky.

Not everyone visits every section so it would be great to see some of the best stuff posted up here.

Great idea!

Back to top Go down

Posted this morning in Religion by Stardesk

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:50 pm

stardesk wrote:Morning folks. Molly, here’s the piece that encapsulates in a nutshell what I was saying earlier about life and everything. The middle verse is the explanation. The reference to Gaia is a means of bringing the whole issue down to a personal level. Gaia, as you probably know, was the ancient Greek Mother goddess and creator. But in scientific circles the name is used to mean our planet and the life upon it.

THE JOURNEY

I forced my snorting charger down the paths between the stars, through empty, infinite space.
Forward, forward, slacken not your mighty speed. Onward, onward, seek and find another race.
Hot, flaming belly, push harder, force your breath to straining flanks.
Step lively faithful steed ere we sup yon supernova’s burning death.

A thousand eternities did we traverse, aye, and the same amount of universe.
Past myriads of galaxies we’ve hurled, down past weird nebula and maternity of suns, dead and born again a million times.
Down…down again, deep…so…deep. Infinity! Where is your timeless bend? What your confines? Where the end? How near, how far Eternity? Ageless yet so young, binding yet so boundless. Wondrously prolific yet so lifeless, you create to destroy, destroy to create, innocently conquering, insatiate!

Up, up and down, forward and backward you flow and yet, though all is movement
how still you seem to be to trusty steed and I as through the unbounded universe we pass in awe.
On…on, into hypnotic void of deep space…….
Beloved Gaia, I have seen your face.
------------------------------------------------
The whole thing postulates the never ending cycle of universal life. Something is born, lives its life-span, then dies, but out of the chaos and destruction new life is born. This is seen in the galaxy where we have billions of tons of debris floating around. The debris from an exploding star or destroyed planet will eventually form into another star or planets, asteroids or meteorites, these in their turn will foster new life. And so it goes on, eternally.

God, in this context, has no meaning, no relevance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:30 pm

In my opinion, the best post of today is by skemster on the subject of the couple who was refused the right to adopt.

Skemster wrote:
This is a very difficult [and interesting] issue and both Victor and Eizel make some very good points here. Once we start getting into the area of 'Rights' we enter a minefield, as what may seen to be a natural right to me [eg to eat meat] may be seen as an abomination that must be stamped out by say, a miltant vegan.

I think what Victor says about 'right's being attached to a 'natural person' at one particular point in that's person life is a very important one; we get into very difficult territory when we start using the issue of personal rights proscriptively in a preventative manner. It in fact opens the gates to all sorts of problems IMO, and starts going too far down the authoritarian road, turning the concept of personal 'rights' into an establishment diktat of what it sees through it's own value judgements as being Right [some could read 'politically correct' of course into that term].

It's a can of worms this whole business, as it is entering all sorts of areas involving value judgements not just about sexuality but race, religion etc. Are the couple being stigmatised becasue they are Christian? Would muslim couples be so closely scrutinised on their attitude to homosexualaity [which would be just as fervently homophobic] or are they less 'assessed,' as they would only foster muslim kids...but if so, what if that muslim kid believes he/she is gay... does that mean gay muslim kids have less 'rights' because the 'rights' of being placed in their cultural framework over-ride their sexuality 'rights?' Also is it really practicable [or fair] to isolate sexuality as an issue for a child when deciding on foster parents [who may in all other areas be excellent role models], particularly if they are pre-puberty? What does a child really understand about its sexuality at that particular stage in their lives, and should an otherwise safe and nurturing family environment be denied them because of what to many, is a hypothetical possibilty?

Of course I fully understand Eizel's point that the family framework can affect a child who is developing a sense of homosexuality, and of course a negative family 'atmosphere' can severely damage that development, and so this couples avowed Pentacostal homophobia is a very serious aspect of their fostering profile to consider. But putting my rational politcal hat on, I think Victors point of about the dangers of trying to project protective measures into the future in the name of as yet un-called for 'rights' is a very valid one, and we need to keep as broad and as level a playing field as possible when we come to personal liberties and child nurturing. We have to be very careful not to elevate the 'rights' of certain minority groups above others when assessing the fostering situation and be as holistic as possible because there are too many examples of double standards/failings around- such as social services being aware of child abuse, particuarly in racial minority cases and ignoring it- yet other minority issues are given elevated rights- even if they're not particualry needed at that moment in time.

A very, very complex issue....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:47 pm

I would concur! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Skemster wrote:H20: I think Labour may well get back in but it will be a pyrrhic victory as they will have to own up that there really isn't a choice about cuts as the money markets will crucify them if they don't.

Hi H20
you know what I reckon the Labour strategists are poo-ing themselves at the moment because a general election looks on the cards for next year and yes, they will on current form no doubt win it. The problem will be though, by then we will be entering a period of Depression in a very unstable world and Labour will end up Obamasised- they'll inherent an economy weakened by unnecessarily savage cuts, a financial sector still not tamed and the edge of another calamity, and a new Labour government will end up getting the blame for it all.

So I suspect behind closed doors, the party hierarchy are hoping and praying the coalition will limp on to 2014, but it won't of course, as losing the PR referendum will be the first death knell for it as the coalition goes tits up by the autumn.

A Labour government will be the best option for the country though during the forthcoming depression; the Left has got it 100% right with their economic assessment of the current world order this time, and I suspect even the most diehard neoliberal economists are admitting that as they cry into their Daquiris on a private carribean beach. Government is going to be massively stressful over the next few years though and nerves of steel will be needed...I'm sure Labour would prefer a couple more years in opposition to find their feet again, but I don't think they're going to have that luxury Very Happy

Oh and I think it's rubbish the markets would punish a new, Left leaning government. Unregulated, free market capitalism has now run its course and been found to be an unmitigated failure; most people are waking up to that fact now, and market pwer and influence is going to seriously wane, particularly as they are going to have enough on their plate when the next banking crisis happens [within the next year I reckon] and this time, there will be no nice cosy taxpayer bailout to keep them in the life to which they are accustomed too lol

Skemster: Champion of the Left Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi just found this thread [what a great idea] and I'm blushing, thanks guys! Now I know it's here I'll post up some of the good ones I come across myself Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Sassy raises the points we are all making, and lays the smack down on silly name calling Twisted Evil
sassy1261 wrote:
Number 1, can we have less of the brain dead please. Because someone disagrees with you does not make them braindead. The calculation for the cuts are disputed by many people. If they could go ahead with the cuts with no financial consequences then the cuts would work. Unfortunately they can't and the calculations on how much will be offset by paying out more benefits, having a population with less money to buy to keep the economy going round, the oil crisis, the fact that job losses in the public sector will lead to job losses in the private sector (yes I know that the private sector are supposed to be able to produce millions of jobs like a rabbit from a conjurer's hat, rubbish) all add up to a very big minus to put against the plus of the cuts. Frankly, like a lot of people, I think that the minuses will be a lot more than they think and the depression that we are experiencing will get worse, not better and more people will loose their homes etc. We are back to banks paying huge bonuses and its us who are going to pay for them, which the coalition, apart from Vince Cable, don't seem to mind. I think there should be cuts, but the ones they are doing are too fast, ill thought out and the consequences not being weighed up properly. That does not make me brain dead and I would be most grateful if people would follow the ethos of the site and debate without the name calling. Perhaps you had better read a few of Skemsters posts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:16 pm

eilzel wrote:Sassy raises the points we are all making, and lays the smack down on silly name calling Twisted Evil

Which Thread is that from, as I couldn't get on here yesterday? Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Skemster once again delievers the goods: On the sins of Capitalism AND BAD liberal intervention:
Skemster wrote:

I think this is another reason why the Iraq invasion was so wrong on so many levels, and the dibilitating after affects are going to be felt through this unrest in the ME with perhaps the most devestating of consequences for us.

The Iraq invasion was entirely based in free market, corporatist motives- nothing more- and dressed up conveniently as 'democracy-building' for the consumption of TV viewers in the Uk and US. The obscenity of that action is now coming back to bite us on the bum and in all likelihood is going to plunge the whole of the West into a long, deep depression [in fact in 20 years time, I think the Americans will look back on the Iraq invasion as the key point where they lost their No 1 political and economic staus in the world- all for the interests of global capitalism- what a price to pay lol].

Because of Iraq, there is an understandable public wariness now about intervening elsewhere in the ME and of course the UK and US military is battered, over stretched and in the UK's case, increasingly under resourced to do such a thing. This is at a time when intervention is actually vital and warranted in the ME, a thousand more times than the Iraq folly. By not intervening all our worst nightmares may well come true; a rash of Islamic states across the ME holding us to ransom over oil, and us powerless to do anything about it.

We are quite simply screwed. And a lot of it is down to the idiocy of invading Iraq because Wall Street and The City wanted improved shareholder value in their defence and natural resource stocks. We are now going to be paying for that corporately driven idiocy for decades to come.

Back to top Go down

eilzels quote

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:55 pm

quote eilzel Some would cite other reasons but sadly it is due to former British governance that most these countries still hold such barbaric, dated laws. So about time something was done about this, and in most cases we really should use foreign aid as a bargaining tool. They want money to develop themselves into the modern era, they should meet us half way and alter their laws likewise

toms reply

I nominate eilzel as post of the day. The leftie and caring person who thinks we should use foreign aid as a bargaining tool to get more right's for the gays
aint it just like the the lefties and gays bill of equal rights and justice for all, what a bunch of hypocrites, your words eilzel[b] Cop [b]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:39 pm

tom sawyer wrote:
quote eilzel Some would cite other reasons but sadly it is due to former British governance that most these countries still hold such barbaric, dated laws. So about time something was done about this, and in most cases we really should use foreign aid as a bargaining tool. They want money to develop themselves into the modern era, they should meet us half way and alter their laws likewise

toms reply

I nominate eilzel as post of the day. The leftie and caring person who thinks we should use foreign aid as a bargaining tool to get more right's for the gays
aint it just like the the lefties and gays bill of equal rights and justice for all, what a bunch of hypocrites, your words eilzel[b] Cop [b]
Is it yours or Eilzel's?
You do know you can't nominate yours scratch Read

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:29 pm

nope definitely Eilzels as well you know, sums you lot up totally .don't it just

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Can't someone vote for one of mine...? Sad

I post in:

*Word Association*
*Hi and Bye*

and one of two others.... study

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:27 pm

no lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Oooh...

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:12 pm

Angel wrote:Can't someone vote for one of mine...? Sad

I post in:

*Word Association*
*Hi and Bye*

and one of two others.... study

I will vote for you Angel Wink

I love ALL your posts. cheers
SEXY MAMA
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:43 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:

I will vote for you Angel Wink

I love ALL your posts. cheers

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:28 pm

Angel wrote:

Very Happy

Thats so cute!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:03 am

sassy1261 wrote:

Thats so cute!

I hope that you come back soon. There is a lack of balance IMO.

xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:09 pm

Guest wrote:

I hope that you come back soon. There is a lack of balance IMO.

xx

Sassy is having a special and well deserved Christmas with her family Phil, she'll be back in the New Year Very Happy x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Nah, it was ever thus. We ( the peeps) moan and bitch about our lot and each other, conveniently distracted and not noticing that politicians of ALL persuasions are in it for the gravy train, to employ their families, fiddle their expenses and fuck us all into submission and we still vote them back in. What we need is a revolution. We wont get one though, we are a populous of impotent keyboard warriors. Kept stupid on a diet of Corrie and Simon Cowell.

by nems
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

she does so often hit the nail bang on does our nems Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:34 pm

gelico wrote:Nah, it was ever thus. We ( the peeps) moan and bitch about our lot and each other, conveniently distracted and not noticing that politicians of ALL persuasions are in it for the gravy train, to employ their families, fiddle their expenses and fuck us all into submission and we still vote them back in. What we need is a revolution. We wont get one though, we are a populous of impotent keyboard warriors. Kept stupid on a diet of Corrie and Simon Cowell.

by nems
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

she does so often hit the nail bang on does our nems Twisted Evil

She certainly does!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Embarassed
Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:50 am

H20 wrote

There is a surfeit of looney left posters on here who regulalry pat each other on the back with liberal greenies and live in a nodding world. It reinforces a type of thinking rather than allows you to challenge your left wing mind sets.

Fred and I are RWs who do challenge the status quo. Seren is the only RWer amongst you as far as I can tell. That I presume is Freds point and if it isn' it is mine.

I realise your analoy with the "Shoutracist" comment and can see how you might interpret it that way. My point is that you do exactly that with us. If we take a view over taxation for example you will trot out greedy RW bastards who are too tight to pay their taxes even when you are faced with a body of evidence which shows that benign tax regimes actually draw in mre money to the exchequer. That is because you are caught up in your own paradigms and are too busy greening one another to step back and even consider alternative viewpoints.

It is why left wing blocks like the Soviet Union had to block radio transmaissions from the west because it couldn't have its founding principles challengedat any level. They knew the west lived in relative luxury and that there policies were literally starving their people to death. You starve your own minds with such a paucity of new ideas ever being allowed a hearing on here.

Still if it makes you fell more comfortable in your twilight years who am I to take that away from you.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top