4m children in UK do not own a single book, study finds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

4m children in UK do not own a single book, study finds

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:41 pm

-
The findings show that children who own books are more likely to perform better at school Photo: GETTY

The latest report by the National Literacy Trust discloses that one in three does not have a book of their own.

The number has increased from seven years ago, the last time the poll was conducted, when it stood at one in 10 youngsters, meaning the number of children without books has triped. The latest survey, which was based on a survey of 18,000 children aged between eight and 16, shows that boys are more likely to be without books than girls.

The researchers also found that children who are eligible for free school meals - a measure of poverty - are less likely to own a book than their more wealthy peers. The findings show that children who own books are more likely to perform better at school.

Children who do not own a book are almost three times more likely to have literacy levels below the norm than those who do own one, the study found. The researchers also concluded that 75% of children who read nine or more books a month read above the level expected of them, compared with 28.6% of those who read no books in a month.

Jonathan Douglas, the director of the National Literacy Trust, said the numbers of children without books were of "particular concern".

"We know there is a direct correlation between book ownership and children's reading abilities," he said. "With one in six in the UK struggling with literacy it is very worrying that many children could be missing out on opportunities to develop these essential skills." Writers expressed shock at the report’s conclusions.

George Monbiot said: “If the statistics are as frightening as they appear to be, it’s a tragedy because it means that children are missing out on one of the richest and most thrilling experiences that they can have, which is reading. Literacy is a key to a world which is far beyond anything you can imagine through a virtual reality game and far beyond anything that television will ever give you. It’s like stepping through the back of the wardrobe. Being highly literate and being able to compare sources and pull out themes from books is one of those things which, for me at any rate, has made life worth living.”

Jilly Cooper said: "It's appalling, just appalling. Children are only doing texting and iPods but think about what they're missing out on. Reading is such a magical carpet to other worlds. It's really very depressing news. It is one of the most pressing issues for children - it's not just the pleasure that reading brings but also the information they contain and the skills that children acquire through reading. Reading really is the most important thing in the world. My mother read to me all the time. One of my earliest memories is of my mother leaving the washing up and sitting down with her latest novel."

There was also general astonishment at the scale of the literacy problem which the research seemed to indicate.

Mark Taylor, of the Chartered Institute of Library & Information Professionals, said: “It is absolutely essential that children and young people have access to books and reading. Children can get through a surprisingly large number of books, and not all parents can afford to buy the books their children need. This is one of many reasons why our libraries are so important, particularly public and school libraries.”

A spokesman from the Department for Education said the Coalition’s “synthetic phonics” system, which teaches pronunciation, and the extra funding for disadvantaged children would help boost reading levels. He said: “No child should miss out on the joys of reading. Everyone has a role in inspiring a lifetime’s love of books in all children.”

The survey was commissioned to mark the launch of the Trust's Christmas Gift of Reading fundraising appeal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8934429/4m-children-in-UK-do-not-own-a-single-book-study-finds.html

This makes me so sad, I loved to read as a child Sad

It's as though you are entering a different and magical world. No limitations, just your imagination. I think books will be on my list for ALL the children I buy for this Christmas rendeer

Back to top Go down

Re: 4m children in UK do not own a single book, study finds

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:47 pm

I always give books to children, they open up the world to them. I honestly don't know what I would do without books. I very rarely watch TV now, get the news from the net, but I'd go potty without books.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:31 pm

Totally agree Sass, books- fiction and non fiction- are what inspire us to create, to travel, to learn more etc. It dosen't surprise me at all that those kids who do read more books are ahead of their class mates. TV is full of mind melting garbage, too much has to be bad for kids. Books will develop the imagination and have them asking questions about all kinds of things. My 8 year old cousin loves reading, he has read all the Harry Potters, is making way through all Roald Dahls books as well as so many I haven't even heard of- so refreshing when most kids don't have any interest in even glancing at a page normally Rolling Eyes

Parents who don't encourage their kids to pick up a book should be ashamed imo...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:35 pm

eilzel wrote:Totally agree Sass, books- fiction and non fiction- are what inspire us to create, to travel, to learn more etc. It dosen't surprise me at all that those kids who do read more books are ahead of their class mates. TV is full of mind melting garbage, too much has to be bad for kids. Books will develop the imagination and have them asking questions about all kinds of things. My 8 year old cousin loves reading, he has read all the Harry Potters, is making way through all Roald Dahls books as well as so many I haven't even heard of- so refreshing when most kids don't have any interest in even glancing at a page normally Rolling Eyes

Parents who don't encourage their kids to pick up a book should be ashamed imo...

The trouble is Eilzel we are now reaching the stage that the parents don't read books, which is probably why the situation is getting worse, and it criminal to take so much away from a child.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:38 pm

My son is 10 now and I always remember when he was 5 and in first year at school he was the only child in his class that got books at Christmas. I was horrified, and I used to get called posh at the school gate because I used to read with my children and we would make models and so on No

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Nems Again wrote:My son is 10 now and I always remember when he was 5 and in first year at school he was the only child in his class that got books at Christmas. I was horrified, and I used to get called posh at the school gate because I used to read with my children and we would make models and so on No

Sad isn't it, there is so much joy to be had doing those kind of things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:44 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

The trouble is Eilzel we are now reaching the stage that the parents don't read books, which is probably why the situation is getting worse, and it criminal to take so much away from a child.

I can't even imagine it. Virtually my whole family reads constantly, barring my dad and one of my sisters who never cared to.

^Nems, that is shocking, that people would actually find is strange you reading to your child- what the hell do they do?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:10 pm

eilzel wrote:

I can't even imagine it. Virtually my whole family reads constantly, barring my dad and one of my sisters who never cared to.

^Nems, that is shocking, that people would actually find is strange you reading to your child- what the hell do they do?

Isnt it horrible that it is viewed as something to ridicule? Most of them seemed to concentrate on orange skin and hair extensions No

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 pm

My God!!!!!

This is shocking!!!!!

My kids LOVE reading they MAKE me go to Waterstones everytime we go out and buy books ( costs me a little fortune mind).

Nothing compares to getting lost in the world of imagination.

SEXY MAMA
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Couldnt agree more. I have a daughter like me who loves to read and a son who thinks it is a form of torture!

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:22 pm

Nems Again wrote:Couldnt agree more. I have a daughter like me who loves to read and a son who thinks it is a form of torture!

Lol!!! My son used to be like that until i made him go to Kumon where he was forced to read passages and write about them.
SEXY MAMA
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top