Couple caught on camera repeatedly throwing their dog in the sea are banned from keeping animals

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Couple caught on camera repeatedly throwing their dog in the sea are banned from keeping animals

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:32 pm

A couple who were photographed throwing their pet dog in to the sea have been banned for keeping animals for ten years.

John Nesbitt and Linda Jones have also been given suspended sentences after being found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to their terrier Jess.

First Nesbitt then Jones tossed the dog into the water from a slipway in Exmouth, Devon. Unfortunately for the pair, they were caught on camera by an eyewitness, providing definitive evidence of their actions.

Jones, 51, and 62-year-old Nesbitt denied the charge of causing unnecessary suffering to Jess one summer's day in June but were convicted after a trial at Exeter Magistrates' Court. The couple claimed they were just trying to keep their pet cool, but the court heard that their actions were cruel nonetheless.

Prosecutor Alison Jordan said that the pair were witnessed by James Clews, who photographed them throwing Jess in to the sea. The pictures were later shown to magistrates as evidence in Jones and Nesbitt's trial.

Ms Jordan said that beneath the water was a concrete slipway, but the couple would not know how shallow the water was at that point. She argued that Jess would have been in danger of hitting the base of the slipway, and a vet said that the dog could have been injured.

Jones said: 'All my dogs go into the sea. The water was clear, it was not dangerous. It was a lovely hot day in April. I would gladly do it again. Whoosh, she goes to the bottom and up she comes. She is 18 inches tall and shakes herself off. She swims out of the sea - doggy paddles. It wasn't that shallow, the tide was coming in.'

Nesbitt said they both threw her in twice and he said Jess flew a 'few feet' in the air into the sea. He called them 'little dips in the sea'.

The four-year-old black and tan terrier has not been allowed back with the couple since May and is with the RSPCA.

In court Jones told the magistrates: 'I am so angry. I know the sea like the back of my hand. I just want my baby back.'

And defending lawyer Jeremy Tricks said that although the pair's actions were 'foolish', Jess did not suffer from being thrown in the sea because dogs are 'resilient animals'.

But the pair were both found guilty, and were sentenced to 12 weeks in jail suspended for two years.

Nesbitt and Jones have been allowed one month to get rid of their pet cat.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2068713/John-Nesbitt-Linda-Jones-caught-throwing-pet-dog-sea-Exmouth.html

This kind of behaviour drives me crazy and what on earth will they do with their poor cat???

Back to top Go down

Re: Couple caught on camera repeatedly throwing their dog in the sea are banned from keeping animals

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:05 pm

They look as if they could do with getting acquainted with a bit of water.
They should also be held under

Back to top Go down

Re: Couple caught on camera repeatedly throwing their dog in the sea are banned from keeping animals

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Nems Again wrote:They look as if they could do with getting acquainted with a bit of water.
They should also be held under

And it was a very hot day, but they were both wearing coats? And she had boots on, oh yes, it was very hot - NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:13 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

And it was a very hot day, but they were both wearing coats? And she had boots on, oh yes, it was very hot - NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Exactly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Why only ten years I wonder?

I'm no animal lover but they are scum. The magistates have some perculiar ideas giving only ten years.

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:34 pm

and why is the dog wearing a coat???

oh and the law would state "and being reckless as to whether suffering was caused" since the animal protection laws work on the precautionary principle.
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top