'We send our son's organs with love': Parents give gift of life to four people after five-year-old's sudden death

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'We send our son's organs with love': Parents give gift of life to four people after five-year-old's sudden death

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:51 pm

A five-year-old boy who died suddenly has given the gift of life to four people.

Luca Giovannini died two weeks ago, only 24 hours after suffering what is believed to be a rare reaction to a usually treatable virus.
When doctors told his parents Vickie and Renzo that their son was not going to survive they made the decision to donate some of his organs for transplant.

One of those Luca has saved is a two-year-old girl who was close to death, and is now expected to be home in time for Christmas.

Gift: Luca Giovannini died just 24 hours after complaining he felt unwell. When doctors told his parents he was not going to survive they decided to donate his organs

The others who received his organs are a two-year-old boy, a 35-year-old mother-of-two and a 34-year-old man.

Mr Giovannini, from Stockport, Greater Manchester, said: 'When the medics were trying to save Luca's life, I asked a doctor what his chances were of surviving, and he said we were looking at the worst-case scenario. It's a scenario which no parent wants to be faced with, but it was at that stage that we discussed organ donation. We mentioned it to the ward matron that we would like him considered for donation because we wanted something positive to come out of this. We send Luca's organs with love to all these people, especially to the little girl who they told us was just days away from dying. She is now expected to leave hospital on Friday and be home in time for Christmas,' said Mr Giovannini, a financial adviser. 'Luca did a lot of things in his short life whereas these two children have never been out of hospital and now hopefully they will get the chance to live similar lives.'

Luca had complained he felt sick at 4am on November 14. He died at 7am the next day.

Mr Giovannini, 38, said: 'One week we were thinking about buying Luca his Christmas present and the next we were looking for a grave for him. He was such a lively lad who never sat still and he had such a sunny disposition and was a very happy little boy.'

Luca was taken by ambulance from Wythenshawe Hospital to Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, where doctors battled in vain to save his life. Medics are yet to confirm the cause of his death but believe he may have had a rare reaction to the usually-treatable Epstein-Barr virus, which causes the brain to swell.

Luca, who also leaves a brother Leo, two, enjoyed gymnastics.

His teacher Janet Ayling at St Hugh's RC Primary in Timperley, said: 'Somehow Luca's love of life and his spirit will live on in all of us. He will leave a legacy for all of us to follow - his beautiful smile, his gentle nature, and his whole happy being will never be forgotten.'

An inquest has been opened and adjourned. Luca's funeral was taking place today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2067964/We-send-sons-organs-love-Parents-gift-life-people-childs-sudden-death.html#ixzz1fDRmvmOv

Poor little angel. What an amazing family, if ever you needed inspiration to become an organ donor this has to be it. I'm full of admiration I love you x

If you're not a registered donor please give it some thought.

Back to top Go down

Re: 'We send our son's organs with love': Parents give gift of life to four people after five-year-old's sudden death

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Amazing parents, absolutely amazing. It moved me to tears just reading about that little lad.

What his teacher said of him was wonderful ...'Somehow Luca's love of life and his spirit will live on in all of us. He will leave a legacy for all of us to follow - his beautiful smile, his gentle nature, and his whole happy being will never be forgotten.'

Back to top Go down

Re: 'We send our son's organs with love': Parents give gift of life to four people after five-year-old's sudden death

Post by SEXY MAMA on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:49 am

What a moving story and very brave parents.

At such a distressing time they thought about other children.

All my family memebers are registered donors. It's something we all should do because lets face it we wont be needing any of it after death.
SEXY MAMA
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:27 am

ok, now i'm bawling

it doesn't take much to set me off

but this is so sad and so wonderful at the same time

i've filled out donor card.

i thought there was going to be somekind of opt out system put in place for organ donations etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:28 am

SEXY MAMA wrote:

All my family memebers are registered donors. It's something we all should do because lets face it we wont be needing any of it after death.

exactly sexy sunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:25 pm

It is an emotional story, sorry for making you cry Sad xxx

I've always carried a donor card, it's something I feel very strongly about. I have also registered here http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/Consent.do.

I would also encourage anyone who can to become a blood donor. I can't donate, in fact I was asked not to come anymore because I'm more hassle than my donation is worth!!! Please do it if you can.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top