Ethical trading policies.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ethical trading policies.

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:06 pm

Does anyone agree with me that we should be sourcing food and other products locally, instead of shipping them half way round the world. I am old enough to remember when we bought most food products at a time when they were in season. Now we expect to have them all year round incurring massive costs to the environment. I can also remember my parents telling me about the end of rationing. Even then, we were able to live reasonably well without the total reliance of food from abroad. We, my wife and I, always buy as much of our food products from local markets and farm shops as we can. The produce is of much better quality and because no long distance transportation is involved, the value for money is excellent. The art of fine cuisine, cooked in our own homes has all but disappeared. It is surely better to prepare quality food and enjoy dinner with friends or just as a couple, than buy ready meals, made from foreign ingredients, containing god knows what additives, at Tesco's etc for TV dinners. . What I am putting forward is a return to Britain being as self sufficient and self reliant as it was during the 50's and 60's and stop shipping as many goods from abroad. I have only dealt with food issues so far, but there are many other products we could produce ourselves, if only we put our mind to it.

Back to top Go down

Re: Ethical trading policies.

Post by SEXY MAMA on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:24 pm

I agree with your Britain should be sufficient part.

But as to going back to the 50s and 60s. It can never happen. Many women were not working now we all 'Have' to work because everything is so expensive and we want to give our children the best we possibly can.

Its far easier to buy ready made meals because mothers and fathers work till late. Im very lucky i dont have too buy store cooked meals as my mum still prepares our meals but as a working mum i can understand why parents can resort to these.
SEXY MAMA
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:29 pm

We always try to support local businesses and buy our meat from the local butchers, bread from the bakers and vegetables from farm shops wherever we can.

Particularly meat, I like to know where it's come from and the quality is so much better. We both work so of course we don't always cook things from scratch but we do the best we can Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:04 pm

I have to confess, I don't think I have ever bought a ready meal, even when my kids were growing up and I was working. Good old slow cookers are brilliant, get it all prepared the night before, bung it in the slow cooker in the morning and come back to a hot meal. I'm with Fred on this, but its not cheap and people have to have the time to go to the local shops. If you leave home at 6 in the morning and don't get back until the same at night, going to a local shop during the week is not an option. I do my main shop from Sainsburys, get weekend meat from the local butcher, veg from the market, and tend to make my own bread as much as possible, but sliced loaves are pretty handy for making sandwiches for 5 some mornings!

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:08 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Does anyone agree with me that we should be sourcing food and other products locally, instead of shipping them half way round the world. I am old enough to remember when we bought most food products at a time when they were in season. Now we expect to have them all year round incurring massive costs to the environment. I can also remember my parents telling me about the end of rationing. Even then, we were able to live reasonably well without the total reliance of food from abroad. We, my wife and I, always buy as much of our food products from local markets and farm shops as we can. The produce is of much better quality and because no long distance transportation is involved, the value for money is excellent. The art of fine cuisine, cooked in our own homes has all but disappeared. It is surely better to prepare quality food and enjoy dinner with friends or just as a couple, than buy ready meals, made from foreign ingredients, containing god knows what additives, at Tesco's etc for TV dinners. . What I am putting forward is a return to Britain being as self sufficient and self reliant as it was during the 50's and 60's and stop shipping as many goods from abroad. I have only dealt with food issues so far, but there are many other products we could produce ourselves, if only we put our mind to it.

Have a alien for that fred, agree 100%, AND we can soon cure the "its much easier to buy ready made".....put 30% vat on ready made foods...they are a luxury item....make it worth cooking...after all, women whinge about how they HAVE to work nowadays, but lets face it...today they dont have anything like the amount of household work to do...the washing is and drying is done for about 30 mins of time the washing up takes what 5 mins, hoovereing is a doddle these days....Our mothers fred spent far more time just maintaining the home than most women do working today, and STILL managed to cook real food....No the problem is ....that bloody box in the corner and the adiction to soap and celeb..... OK...I'm now going to leg it and put on my frying pan proof armor....BUT before you start slinging bricks.....even though I am disabled...I am a full time "house husband" as well as my DIY duties, (and head zookeeper).....(you aint seen our collection of beasties)............
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:12 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

Have a alien for that fred, agree 100%, AND we can soon cure the "its much easier to buy ready made".....put 30% vat on ready made foods...they are a luxury item....make it worth cooking...after all, women whinge about how they HAVE to work nowadays, but lets face it...today they dont have anything like the amount of household work to do...the washing is and drying is done for about 30 mins of time the washing up takes what 5 mins, hoovereing is a doddle these days....Our mothers fred spent far more time just maintaining the home than most women do working today, and STILL managed to cook real food....No the problem is ....that bloody box in the corner and the adiction to soap and celeb..... OK...I'm now going to leg it and put on my frying pan proof armor....BUT before you start slinging bricks.....even though I am disabled...I am a full time "house husband" as well as my DIY duties, (and head zookeeper).....(you aint seen our collection of beasties)............

That's it Victor, make me feel guilty Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

That's it Victor, make me feel guilty Sad

Ahhh...FTL...join the world of collective guilty feelings.....You should know by now my comments are always offered on an "if the cap fits wear it" basis...I know well there are exceptions to the rule, my daughter was a single mum for several years, so I do know the "other side"...Considering the depredation of my wallet and time....i know only too well....
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:55 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

Ahhh...FTL...join the world of collective guilty feelings.....You should know by now my comments are always offered on an "if the cap fits wear it" basis...I know well there are exceptions to the rule, my daughter was a single mum for several years, so I do know the "other side"...Considering the depredation of my wallet and time....i know only too well....

lol! I'm teasing you Victor! We have a mixture of home-cooked and shop bought sauces etc depending on circumstances. As Hubby does the shopping AND likes my cooking I tend to be kept busy. Toad in the Hole tomorrow Razz x

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:59 pm

OHHHH you little tease you <Spank>

well...we are having my schnitzel style pork chops Very Happy

victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:04 pm

victorismyhero wrote:OHHHH you little tease you <Spank>

well...we are having my schnitzel style pork chops Very Happy

Now who's teasing??? lol!

What time should I come over? Very Happy x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:20 pm

I use my local farm shop for my meat and vegetables. They also do a magnificent range of pickles and sauces...Very Happy
It is obviously more expensive than supermarket food but when none of it is wasted it works out roughly the same in the long run.

Perhaps we should persuade NHS Hospitals to use local produce instead of importing virtually everything from China. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top