Scuba Diver Survives Fire

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scuba Diver Survives Fire

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Scuba Diver's Amazing Escape From Bushfire
6 Comments
To view this content you need Flash and Javascript enabled in your browser.

Please download Flash from the Adobe download website.

2:04pm UK, Friday November 25, 2011

An Australian man has told how he survived a huge bushfire by jumping into his neighbour's pool with scuba diving equipment.
A total of 34 homes in the Margaret River region of Western Australia were completely destroyed by the blaze, which was sparked by an ember from a so-called controlled burn.

Strong winds and high temperatures fuelled the fire for three days, forcing hundreds of residents and tourists to evacuate the area.

But homeowner Peter Fabrici decided to stay behind and defend his property from the flames.

After the 53-year-old made sure his wife was safely away from the approaching fire, he returned to the house and got his scuba gear out to help him breathe in the smoke.

"There were spot fires everywhere, the wind was increasing, the smoke was getting thicker and I basically stayed with the house as long as I could," he said.

That's where I stayed, basically on the bottom (of the pool)... And just looking up and seeing the red and the black going over the top.

Bushfire survivor Peter Fabrici
After frantically fire-proofing his house, which included putting sprinklers on the roof, Mr Fabrici was forced to retreat into his neighbour's pool with the scuba equipment.

Mr Fabrici said he remained underwater for about five minutes until he saw the blaze pass over him.

"I held my mask, I had the trolley behind me and I just dove head-long into the pool," he said.

"And that's where I stayed, basically on the bottom... And just looking up and seeing the red and the black going over the top."

Mr Fabrici not only managed to save his own life, but his home is also still standing.

He said: "(After the fire passed) I stuck my head up at the end of the lap pool, I had a direct view of our house and I was just absolutely amazed. There were no flames coming from it."

Firefighters continued to battle the blaze on Friday, but the easing winds and cooler weather raised hopes that they soon might be able to contain the flames.

The bushfire has so far scorched up to 7,800 acres (3,170 hectares) of land around Margaret River, which is a popular wine and surfing region about 260km (160 miles) south of Perth.

Australian fire services carry out controlled burns to reduce the amount of dead leaves and ground vegetation that may fuel bushfires at the height of summer.

The state's department of environment has defended its decision to go-ahead with such a burn on Monday, saying it would have been negligent not to.

http://galleries-news.sky.com/gallery/Bush_Fires_In_Western_Australia_?image_id=045V2eD86Baed

Back to top Go down

Re: Scuba Diver Survives Fire

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Wow, what an amazing story, lucky guy affraid

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top