They are getting desperate - Londoners are sick of the 2012 games already

View previous topic View next topic Go down

They are getting desperate - Londoners are sick of the 2012 games already

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:38 am

What has the London games have to do with Edinburgh. Absolutely nothing, we won't get any benefit from London's games. So why do they want to spoil Edinburgh just so that London can benefit. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-15757202 Fortunately common sense will prevail and London will be told to Fcuk Off. ---- If they want to put up cheap advertising they should put it up on the side of all the important and historic London public buildings, nowhere else.

Back to top Go down

Re: They are getting desperate - Londoners are sick of the 2012 games already

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:32 pm

fred bloggs wrote:What has the London games have to do with Edinburgh. Absolutely nothing, we won't get any benefit from London's games. So why do they want to spoil Edinburgh just so that London can benefit. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-15757202 Fortunately common sense will prevail and London will be told to Fcuk Off. ---- If they want to put up cheap advertising they should put it up on the side of all the important and historic London public buildings, nowhere else.

Now I am going to play devil's advocate here, because I don't think we should be staging the games anyway, but surely London is holding it for the UK? and there will be Scots in the Gt Britain team? In which case, why not advertise it all over the UK including Edinburgh?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:48 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Now I am going to play devil's advocate here, because I don't think we should be staging the games anyway, but surely London is holding it for the UK? and there will be Scots in the Gt Britain team? In which case, why not advertise it all over the UK including Edinburgh?

I made myself very unpopular (in fact more unpopular than usual) when the result of the 2012 Olympic bids were announced by saying that I wished the French had won it.

The reason for my curmudgeonly attitude was that that their children and grandchildren would still be paying for what would inevitably become a massive drain on public finances, mostly in order for politicians, "celebrities" and top civil servants and businessmen to ponce around at lavish parties and receptions (paid for by taxpayers, natch) while ordinary Joe Soaps would be lucky to get a ticket for the quarter finals of the dwarf hurling event.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Max von Maulwurf-Hosen wrote:

I made myself very unpopular (in fact more unpopular than usual) when the result of the 2012 Olympic bids were announced by saying that I wished the French had won it.

The reason for my curmudgeonly attitude was that that their children and grandchildren would still be paying for what would inevitably become a massive drain on public finances, mostly in order for politicians, "celebrities" and top civil servants and businessmen to ponce around at lavish parties and receptions (paid for by taxpayers, natch) while ordinary Joe Soaps would be lucky to get a ticket for the quarter finals of the dwarf hurling event.

Hardly curmudgeonly, just a realistic and sensible sum up of what getting saddled with that massive drain on the public purse actually means.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi Max, Like yourself I wanted France to be awarded the games. The reason was because friends in Rhodes told me that they would be paying for the Greek games for generations to come. I do enjoy watching certain olympic sports on TV, but as the venues are always hundreds or thousands of miles from where I stay, it matters not to me where the games are held. I personally feel that the London games will, in the long term, be a financial disaster for London and the UK in general. However London has wanted and been awarded the games, London and the South alone will benefit from the games, so let them carry the can, don't involve the rest of the UK. And I would just as happy to see any Scots athlete compete and win in France as I would in London

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:37 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Hi Max, Like yourself I wanted France to be awarded the games. The reason was because friends in Rhodes told me that they would be paying for the Greek games for generations to come. I do enjoy watching certain olympic sports on TV, but as the venues are always hundreds or thousands of miles from where I stay, it matters not to me where the games are held. I personally feel that the London games will, in the long term, be a financial disaster for London and the UK in general. However London has wanted and been awarded the games, London and the South alone will benefit from the games, so let them carry the can, don't involve the rest of the UK. And I would just as happy to see any Scots athlete compete and win in France as I would in London

Couldnt agree more

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:41 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Hi Max, Like yourself I wanted France to be awarded the games. The reason was because friends in Rhodes told me that they would be paying for the Greek games for generations to come. I do enjoy watching certain olympic sports on TV, but as the venues are always hundreds or thousands of miles from where I stay, it matters not to me where the games are held. I personally feel that the London games will, in the long term, be a financial disaster for London and the UK in general. However London has wanted and been awarded the games, London and the South alone will benefit from the games, so let them carry the can, don't involve the rest of the UK. And I would just as happy to see any Scots athlete compete and win in France as I would in London

I live relatively close to London (an hour or so commute by train) but the price of the tickets means that they are out of reach of most Sad

I had hoped that I might get some corporate tickets as the Company I work for has been significantly involved but these will only be available to VERY senior people. The cost of corporate entertainment at the Olympics is ridiculous No

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

I live relatively close to London (an hour or so commute by train) but the price of the tickets means that they are out of reach of most Sad

I had hoped that I might get some corporate tickets as the Company I work for has been significantly involved but these will only be available to VERY senior people. The cost of corporate entertainment at the Olympics is ridiculous No

I think I read somewhere that hotels in London have been so greedy, jacking up the cost of even their lowest priced rooms so high that there is strong evidence to suggest that ordinary tourists, who usually bring so much real money into the UK, are simply going elsewhere in Europe.

Just think...our tourism industry destroyed so the great and the good can preen and posture in front of TV cameras!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Max von Maulwurf-Hosen wrote:

I think I read somewhere that hotels in London have been so greedy, jacking up the cost of even their lowest priced rooms so high that there is strong evidence to suggest that ordinary tourists, who usually bring so much real money into the UK, are simply going elsewhere in Europe.

Just think...our tourism industry destroyed so the great and the good can preen and posture in front of TV cameras!

You had better tell Drinky that, he is sure that the Games will do wonders for the tourist trade.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

You had better tell Drinky that, he is sure that the Games will do wonders for the tourist trade.

Well London is always thebig attraction for tourists, but if for a key and lengthy period of the year accommodation in the capital is unavailable and/or unaffordable because of the games, they are unlikely to come just to visit other places like The Lakes and Wales which, fantastic as they are, simply cannot provide the sheer draw of places like Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London.

I tend to agree that the feeling of a lot of them will be "oh, well, let's put the UK off until 2013 and visit Rome or Paris."

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top