Cameron and Clegg and the u-turn over prescription charges.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cameron and Clegg and the u-turn over prescription charges.

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:29 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12612623

MSPs vote to axe NHS prescription charges in Scotland

MSPs have voted to scrap NHS prescription charges in Scotland, a key SNP pledge in the 2007 elections.

The Scottish government won the approval of Holyrood's health committee to remove the current £3 charge.

A last-ditch Conservative and Lib Dem move to block the plan failed.

The price paid by patients for prescription medicine has been reduced each year since 2008 and the final vote will see charges removed on 1 April.

Labour supports the plan but the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats believe the cash could be better spent in other areas.

Scottish government health minister Shona Robison said lifting the charge would reduce the long-term cost to the health service and would no longer put people off going to see their doctor.

Wales and Northern Ireland have already removed NHS prescription charges, which cost £7.20 per item in England.

The Scottish government has played down the risk of people in England travelling across the border to claim free prescriptions.

AGAIN, typical, greedy,selfish tories for ya, and please, im sick of hearing it, its all Labour's fault,ffs, who exactly has been in office for nearly a year now eh?!!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Cameron and Clegg and the u-turn over prescription charges.

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:36 pm

JOYDIVISION. wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12612623

AGAIN, typical, greedy,selfish tories for ya, and please, im sick of hearing it, its all Labour's fault,ffs, who exactly has been in office for nearly a year now eh?!!!

AGAIN, typical greedy, selfish Scots for ya, I'm sick of hearing it, it's all the ConDems fault, ffs, who exactly gets Free Prescriptions in the rest of the UK! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:49 pm

I posted this on ADS, abolishing prescriptions actually saves money, that take from those that pay doesn't cover the admin of those that don't. The reason it has lasted so long is the job cuts needed to make the change, In Wales the had to get rid of 30 (and moved others about) in Scotland it is thought to be around 150 jobs gone.

But if it was abolished UK wide its over 1000 for a very small saving. The fact is this whole system was kept to ensure people had non jobs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm the king wrote:I posted this on ADS, abolishing prescriptions actually saves money, that take from those that pay doesn't cover the admin of those that don't. The reason it has lasted so long is the job cuts needed to make the change, In Wales the had to get rid of 30 (and moved others about) in Scotland it is thought to be around 150 jobs gone.

But if it was abolished UK wide its over 1000 for a very small saving. The fact is this whole system was kept to ensure people had non jobs.

So are you saying that it would be cheaper to scrap the system and loose the £450 Million received in Prescription Charges then? Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:13 pm

That's what was discovered in Wales and is projected in Scotland as well.

In Wales the overall saving was roughly £100,000 not a huge amount but still a saving.

The cost to administer the current system is huge as the exemptions make it so complicated.

From what I have been told, the cost of running a system where everybody paid, would be around £50mil, (though that seems high) as it stands the current system costs more than the entire take in prescription charges.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:19 pm

I'm the king wrote:That's what was discovered in Wales and is projected in Scotland as well.

In Wales the overall saving was roughly £100,000 not a huge amount but still a saving.

The cost to administer the current system is huge as the exemptions make it so complicated.

From what I have been told, the cost of running a system where everybody paid, would be around £50mil, (though that seems high) as it stands the current system costs more than the entire take in prescription charges.

If you can find me a Link to the savings, with NO Prescription Charges, you would actually get me to change my mind on this subject! affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:45 pm

I'll see what I can do. I was given a report by a doctor about a year ago on the savings made in Wales, I'll try find it and look it up online.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm the king wrote:I'll see what I can do. I was given a report by a doctor about a year ago on the savings made in Wales, I'll try find it and look it up online.

Thank you, because the only thing I could find was the receipts for Prescription Charges on 2010, which was £450 Million and I'm finding it hard to believe that by scrapping the system, it would actually show a saving! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:54 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

Thank you, because the only thing I could find was the receipts for Prescription Charges on 2010, which was £450 Million and I'm finding it hard to believe that by scrapping the system, it would actually show a saving! Very Happy

Is it any wonder we are in such a financial mess. Liebour supporters couldn't add up a round of drinks let alone understand the economics of a country.

They know when they can get something for nothing though at the English expense. The Jock Troughers are at it again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Easy H20, do you actually know King is a Labour supporter???

And let's give him a chance to find a link, it may be very telling Twisted Evil

Personally I don't see how it could save money though, as MrD pointed out. And I think its a sham the Scots get evey break whilst we English, with our ridiculously higher tax contributions, get nothing! Either we all should get free prescriptions or none of us- or go for devolution and see how many freebies the leeches get then Evil or Very Mad

No offence to you JD of course (being a Scot), it's your smarmy Govt and Salmond I can't stand Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:45 pm

Still waiting for someone to post a Link that shows it saves money in the UK to scrap the charges! sunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:46 pm

MrDoodles wrote:Still waiting for someone to post a Link that shows it saves money in the UK to scrap the charges! sunny

Patience is a virtue MrD, I have my doubts too though Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:12 pm

eilzel wrote:

Patience is a virtue MrD, I have my doubts too though Neutral

Typical Liebour soundbite, with nothing to back it up! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:18 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

Typical Liebour soundbite, with nothing to back it up! Twisted Evil

Well let's wait and see yeah, I'm willing to give the benifit of the doubt here Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:22 am

I'm trying to find it guys.

And to answer the questions of my 'leanings' Tory born and bred

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:58 am

I'm the king wrote:I'm trying to find it guys.

Blimey, that does surprise me! affraid

Which side of the Party are you from? Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 am

I'm not far right but not centre right either.

I was brought up in the military and the torys have always supported the military better than labour so it was always going to be the case. I was brought up in the area that has the only Tory MP in Scotland...

One thing that may surprise you is I now know a lot of mining families who now support the torys too

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:38 am

Scotland are funding free prescriptions by cutting 25% of NHS management and freezing consultants bonuses.

I wonder why the tories dont want to give the less well off in England something for nothing, oh, thats right it would mean some fat cats losing some of their money and we cant have that can we Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:02 pm

I'm the king wrote:I'm trying to find it guys.

Rolling Eyes I used to like you lol!

Must say though mate; you're a very liberal minded Tory Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:17 am

Hi guys.

I can't find that report anywhere so I will have to take back my words and grumble to myself about it until I can find it. apologies for being useless.

eilzel,

I would say more open minded than liberal, I say I am a tory but I'm not blinded by it, I disagree with some of their policies. Having said that I did vote lib dem in the last election purely because it was a labour seat and the torys didn't have a snowballs chance of winning the seat (it worked).

I think labour and tory have both moved more left from their beginnings, I now see the torys as the party for the working man and labour the party for the non-working man.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:04 am

I'm the king wrote:Hi guys.

I can't find that report anywhere so I will have to take back my words and grumble to myself about it until I can find it. apologies for being useless.

eilzel,

I would say more open minded than liberal, I say I am a tory but I'm not blinded by it, I disagree with some of their policies. Having said that I did vote lib dem in the last election purely because it was a labour seat and the torys didn't have a snowballs chance of winning the seat (it worked).

I think labour and tory have both moved more left from their beginnings, I now see the torys as the party for the working man and labour the party for the non-working man.

Well thanks for looking, I just couldn't see how it would save money taking £450 Million out of it! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:29 am

I understand where you are coming from, I couldn't believe it either, but ther stats were there. Maybe it works to save money on smaller scales. ie in Wales and Scotland.

I think in Wales it was combined with a policy to stop prescriptions for anything you can buy much cheaper, which saved the NHS money on prescribing pain killers etc, but I may be wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:03 pm

JOYDIVISION. wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12612623

Who left a £500 million a day deficit and a debt interest repayment of £45 billion and growing thicko. I realise you can't understand these big numbers JD but you are a dork going on about the current govt being tight. There is nothing left to spend we are borrowing £500 million per day to pay for what we have after the cuts.

Thats is how thick Labour voters are they think that byu simmply voting Labour back in that a new potr of money will appear.

A brain cell looking for a partner all Liebour voters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm the king wrote:Hi guys.

eilzel,

Hi King,

The Tories have definitley moved left but not nearly far enough imo, especially where welfare is concerned!
I see where you're coming from with the working man, non-working man argument; but I don't think that's right. Tories to me are currently totally ideologically minded and are going to cripple the country with their radical cuts. Labour I admit have a lot of ground to make up. I am not a Labour voter typically, but am willing Ed Miliband to do something as the Liberal Democrats have crashed and burned for me and unless there is some drastic turnaround wont consider them an option in 4 years time Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:38 pm

eilzel wrote:

Hi King,

The Tories have definitley moved left but not nearly far enough imo, especially where welfare is concerned!
I see where you're coming from with the working man, non-working man argument; but I don't think that's right. Tories to me are currently totally ideologically minded and are going to cripple the country with their radical cuts. Labour I admit have a lot of ground to make up. I am not a Labour voter typically, but am willing Ed Miliband to do something as the Liberal Democrats have crashed and burned for me and unless there is some drastic turnaround wont consider them an option in 4 years time Evil or Very Mad

I don't think you get it either Eilzel. Even with the cuts we may not get the deficit down to zero by 2015 and we will be borrowing huge sumes everyday to pay the wages. Current interest on Labour debts amount to $45 billion in interest alone per annum.

Have you herard of slavery. By borrowing to pay todays wages we are putting our children into slavery 30 years hence. I don't call that taking the moral high ground I call it craven cowardice having it easier today at the expense of future generations.

Its dead simple we have maxed out our credit cards and are borrowing to pay the bills and the repayment of the bills. You can't call Ocean Direct when you have debts in the Trillions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top