Adam Scott under pressure to sack Steve Williams over racist Tiger Woods slur...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Adam Scott under pressure to sack Steve Williams over racist Tiger Woods slur...

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:33 am

Don't think we discussed this over the weekend, would be interesting hearing some views here:

Adam Scott is facing growing pressure to sack his caddie Steve Williams after he described Tiger Woods as "that black arsehole".

Williams, who was sacked by Woods earlier this year, made the comment while on stage at a "caddie of the year" awards ceremony on Friday. He later issued an apology to Woods and continued to carry Scott's bag during Saturday's third round at the Shanghai Masters.

"It's not an issue for me," Scott said. "I think everything in that room last night was all in good spirits and a bit of fun and I think it probably got taken out of that room in the wrong context. Steve issued a statement and apologised and he did the right thing."

Williams was on stage to receive his award for "celebration of the year" when Scott won the Bridgestone Invitational in Ohio in August, weeks after Woods sacked him. "It was my aim to shove it right up that black arsehole," he said on Friday.

Tiger Woods's agent, Mark Steinberg, said: "I was with Tiger last night when he heard the news. We got multiple calls from people who sounded like they were leaving the caddie party. Tiger obviously wasn't there. He doesn't know exactly what was said. But if multiple reports, which all seem to be accurate, are true, then it's sad it's come down to this. It's a regrettable comment, and there's really nothing that Tiger can do or say. He's just going to move on."

Anti-racism groups said Williams's apology was insufficient. Sabby Dhalu, secretary of One Society Many Cultures, said: "I think there should be an investigation into his behaviour and I don't think an apology is enough. The only way to root it out and prevent other people from behaving in the same way is to take sterner action, in the form of disciplinary action and I think an investigation should be conducted."

Full Story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/nov/05/adam-scott-steve-williams-tiger-woods?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

My view is if your not racist you simply wouldn't use a term like that in those circumstances. But I can see how depending on your social background things like that mat not seem so bad. However in sport you cannot afford to make slips like this, it is racist, there is no way of defending his position, so he should go imo.

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Scott under pressure to sack Steve Williams over racist Tiger Woods slur...

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:49 am

Mmm given that Woods is an arsehole (which he is IMO) who had sacked the caddy, the caddy had probably had a few drinks it is maybe not a surprise the caddy was peed off. However, I do agree with Les, you dont use that word unless you feel it to be a derogatory term. He could have said miserable, tightfisted, two faced bastard all appropriate adjectives. The man's skin colour should not be used.

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Scott under pressure to sack Steve Williams over racist Tiger Woods slur...

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:37 am

So what colour is Wood's Arse?. It is most certainly Black, so that being an undisputed fact, it is not open to interpretation. - It is an objective statement!. --- The fact that woods IS an arsehole is purely subjective and is open to interpretation. It important to consider those different facts. --------------- This spat between woods and his x caddy is just a storm in a tea cup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:51 am

It appears to me that there is a racist element in his comment. As Williams had been sacked by Woods, then I imagine the remark wasn't said in a light-hearted, friendly manner, but I wasn't there, and didn't hear the tone of his voice when he said it. btw... I'm not excusing his use of the word.

If Williams is let go over this, is he likely to refer to Scott as a White arsehole ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:00 am

Agree with Nems and Angel; why use the word unless it was meant to be derogatory? I can never imagine the alternative being used...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:25 am

fred bloggs wrote:So what colour is Wood's Arse?. It is most certainly Black, so that being an undisputed fact, it is not open to interpretation. - It is an objective statement!. --- The fact that woods IS an arsehole is purely subjective and is open to interpretation. It important to consider those different facts. --------------- This spat between woods and his x caddy is just a storm in a tea cup.

The man did not make the statement with the intention of being objective as the use of the term arsehole shows.
Storm in a tea cup it may well be, it may also be a regrettable one for the caddy if he finds himself unemployable because no one wants to associate with a racist.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:52 am

Nems Again wrote:

The man did not make the statement with the intention of being objective as the use of the term arsehole shows.
Storm in a tea cup it may well be, it may also be a regrettable one for the caddy if he finds himself unemployable because no one wants to associate with a racist.

When you have know someone a long time, normally their skin colour becomes an irrelevance. That is why I think it was meant as a racist remark. I also agree the arsehole bit was entirely true.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top