Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:02 am

Fifa has banned the England football team from wearing poppies in honour of Remembrance Day during their friendly against Spain, saying no team is allowed to make changes to their official kit.

War veterans have hit out at the international football association, saying the decision is "disgraceful".

George Batt, general secretary of the Normandy Veterans Association, condemned the football chiefs. The 86-year-old who fought in World War Two, said he "didn't really understand it".

"I can't see any harm in wearing a poppy. You surely don't need rules and regulations in Fifa like this. It's so sad.

"I would think about 90% of the population wear them. I'm lost for words. I think it's a bit childish because, after all is said and done, if it wasn't for us blokes Fifa wouldn't be here. They wouldn't be playing football."

Fifa rules means no changes can be made to official kit and so the Football Association's request for players to wear a poppy on the eve of Remembrance Sunday was rebutted.

A spokesman for the FA said they were "proud supporters" of the armed forces.

"We are only too pleased to recognise those that have sacrificed their lives for the nation.

"The England senior team will proudly wear poppies on their training kit and all our staff and representative teams will stop to observe the Armistice Day silence."

But Fifa stuck to their guns, saying if they made a concession for one team, it would lead to other countries making similar requests to personalise their national shirts. National football bodies must abide by Fifa rules or risk being expelled.

In 2010, more than £36m was raised by the Poppy Appeal and campaigners hope to hit the £40m target this year. The appeal, which is run by the Royal British Legion, helps thousands of serving and ex-service armed forces and their families.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/11/05/fifa-ban-england-football_n_1077575.html

I can't understand this at all. The far right are using the poppy, and armistice day to further their far right objectives, but much like the flag of St George was reclaimed from them, then the poppy will be as well.
This is a knee jerk reaction, if this is the case and utterly ridiculous. Sad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:15 am

It is infuriating when officials of anykind start trying to ban symbols of national pride; though this is being given a general excuse of kit alterations. It is petty and yes the far-Right will take any opportunity to use such imagery which leaves it tarred for a period. If we could begin displaying these things without stupid contraversy all the time it would blind us to the use of them by extremists and help us shut them out of the spot light for good Twisted Evil

In this particular case though I would like to see the team defy Fifa, since it is only a friendly game whatever penalty would follow might be worth accepting.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:35 am

eilzel wrote:It is infuriating when officials of anykind start trying to ban symbols of national pride; though this is being given a general excuse of kit alterations. It is petty and yes the far-Right will take any opportunity to use such imagery which leaves it tarred for a period. If we could begin displaying these things without stupid contraversy all the time it would blind us to the use of them by extremists and help us shut them out of the spot light for good Twisted Evil

In this particular case though I would like to see the team defy Fifa, since it is only a friendly game whatever penalty would follow might be worth accepting.

I don't believe that the English Football is anything to do with England or national pride etc.

Isn't it about money, lots of money, makig tons and tons of money from all over the world where it's image is packaged and sold to millions.

It's no more about England than Manchester United is about Manchester.

Ask yourself this when was the last time that you saw a report about a poor village in Africa where you DIDN'T see a small boy wearing a Manchester United shirt.

The poppy is traditionally a British cultural/historical symbol and is most likely extremely offensive or just a little off-putting to many "potential" customers across the globe.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:35 am

It is total madness Evil or Very Mad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:50 am

Seren wrote:

I don't believe that the English Football is anything to do with England or national pride etc.

Isn't it about money, lots of money, makig tons and tons of money from all over the world where it's image is packaged and sold to millions.

It's no more about England than Manchester United is about Manchester.

Ask yourself this when was the last time that you saw a report about a poor village in Africa where you DIDN'T see a small boy wearing a Manchester United shirt.

The poppy is traditionally a British cultural/historical symbol and is most likely extremely offensive or just a little off-putting to many "potential" customers across the globe.

There are 2 aspects. I have this debate with a friend who absolutely loathes football partly for business aspect. Yes to the organzation it is money. But for the people who support it, it is ALL about national pride or your domestic team and city pride. For fans of the national football, the England team is every bit as representative of the patriotism and pride as anything else; and for us to hear the poppy will not be allowed on the kit is disgusting. Fifa need to take the fans into consideration, and since we are talking the national squad they have less reason to worry about foreign kids wearing the strip Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:54 am

The poppy is a symbol of our respect for those who gave their lives for our country. Any attack on this symbol should be condemned and any organisation who insults us by banning the poppy should be withdrawn from. Fifa is one of the most corrupt sporting organisations in the world and should be disbanded.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:01 am

eilzel wrote:

There are 2 aspects. I have this debate with a friend who absolutely loathes football partly for business aspect. Yes to the organzation it is money. But for the people who support it, it is ALL about national pride or your domestic team and city pride. For fans of the national football, the England team is every bit as representative of the patriotism and pride as anything else; and for us to hear the poppy will not be allowed on the kit is disgusting. Fifa need to take the fans into consideration, and since we are talking the national squad they have less reason to worry about foreign kids wearing the strip Smile

I agree that there are a lot of football fans in this country who a) love their national team and b) take pride in the poppy campaign. I doubt FIFA gives a monkeys though, also I don't see FIFA being bullied by a couple of tabloids into "doing the right thing". Yes fans may say "disgusting" but big corporations hate our culture/history, basically they hate anything that is not homogenized and dows not constitute a huge bland, one size fits all customer base.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Seren wrote:

I agree that there are a lot of football fans in this country who a) love their national team and b) take pride in the poppy campaign. I doubt FIFA gives a monkeys though, also I don't see FIFA being bullied by a couple of tabloids into "doing the right thing". Yes fans may say "disgusting" but big corporations hate our culture/history, basically they hate anything that is not homogenized and dows not constitute a huge bland, one size fits all customer base.

Then isn't it time for our team to tell them to get stuffed and wear it anyway?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:26 pm

Seren wrote:

I don't believe that the English Football is anything to do with England or national pride etc.

Isn't it about money, lots of money, makig tons and tons of money from all over the world where it's image is packaged and sold to millions.

It's no more about England than Manchester United is about Manchester.

Ask yourself this when was the last time that you saw a report about a poor village in Africa where you DIDN'T see a small boy wearing a Manchester United shirt.

The poppy is traditionally a British cultural/historical symbol and is most likely extremely offensive or just a little off-putting to many "potential" customers across the globe.

Exactly, this comes straight out of the dont take your shirt off when you score because it pisses the advertisers off stable.
The thought also occurs that the england team admin etc have known for long enough when Remembrance Sunday is why did they not sort this out when the fixtures were agreed?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Seren wrote:

I agree that there are a lot of football fans in this country who a) love their national team and b) take pride in the poppy campaign. I doubt FIFA gives a monkeys though, also I don't see FIFA being bullied by a couple of tabloids into "doing the right thing". Yes fans may say "disgusting" but big corporations hate our culture/history, basically they hate anything that is not homogenized and dows not constitute a huge bland, one size fits all customer base.

The fans should return their ticket and request a refund. What the about turn then.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:16 pm

A couple of points here, I'm not sure why the strip can't be changed slightly for a friendly, I could see the point if it was a qualifying game or that, but it's a friendly. One way around it could be to wear a black armband instead.

I'm not sure how you class the poppy as a 'symbol of national pride': it is a symbol of respect for those who have been killed fighting for their country.

It is not about any one nation but all soldiers fighting for all countries. Another point is that it isn't even a British symbol, it was first used by the yanks and they have it as there official symbol of rememberance. even the French got on to it before we did.

Finally what has it got to do with right wing groups?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:12 pm

Rugby teams have no issue in wearing a poppy it seems

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Seren wrote:Rugby teams have no issue in wearing a poppy it seems

They don't have FIFA to worry about! If FIFA ran the boy scouts they would not be wearing poppies either.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:33 pm

I'm the king wrote:A couple of points here, I'm not sure why the strip can't be changed slightly for a friendly, I could see the point if it was a qualifying game or that, but it's a friendly. One way around it could be to wear a black armband instead.

I'm not sure how you class the poppy as a 'symbol of national pride': it is a symbol of respect for those who have been killed fighting for their country.

It is not about any one nation but all soldiers fighting for all countries. Another point is that it isn't even a British symbol, it was first used by the yanks and they have it as there official symbol of rememberance. even the French got on to it before we did.

Finally what has it got to do with right wing groups?

Right wing groups are trying to use the poppy as a propaganda tool. In much the same way that the NF hijacked the Union Jack, then the BNP hijacked the Flag Of St George, but we did eventually reclaim them back Cool

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum