Fireworks and pets

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:43 pm

Our cats are really scared. We have to just turn the TV up very loud to try and drown out the bangs.
I still think that they should only be allowed at public displays. They will be going off for at least another week. Evil or Very Mad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:45 pm

Compass wrote:Our cats are really scared. We have to just turn the TV up very loud to try and drown out the bangs.
I still think that they should only be allowed at public displays. They will be going off for at least another week. Evil or Very Mad
Here the same. Our dog is scared No

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:48 pm

David wrote:
Here the same. Our dog is scared No

It's the busiest night of the year for the fire brigade and kids get injured by them as well. Nasty things! Twisted Evil

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:48 pm

David wrote:
Here the same. Our dog is scared No
Soon XFactor and I will put it on loud it calms him down. Laughing

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:49 pm

David wrote:
Soon XFactor and I will put it on loud it calms him down. Laughing

lol! I wouldn't want to put any of them on really loud tbf!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Anyway....It is really quiet on here tonight, and the other channel only have two people on, so they must be out watching fireworks Laughing

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:51 pm

We can hear the bit display in Castle Park, and the garrison next door has one going, but my dog is fast asleep next to me! (mind you, I think he has gone a bit deaf in his old age!)

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:57 pm

sassy1261 wrote:We can hear the bit display in Castle Park, and the garrison next door has one going, but my dog is fast asleep next to me! (mind you, I think he has gone a bit deaf in his old age!)

It is still quite loud here! We live in a Vicorian terrace road, and people are letting them off in their gardens.
I forgot to lock the cat flap, and one of mine came diving through it a short while ago scared out of her wits Evil or Very Mad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:02 pm

Compass wrote:

It is still quite loud here! We live in a Vicorian terrace road, and people are letting them off in their gardens.
I forgot to lock the cat flap, and one of mine came diving through it a short while ago scared out of her wits Evil or Very Mad

Poor little thing, hope she is ok now.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:07 pm

Poor little things...Sad


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:08 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Poor little thing, hope she is ok now.

She is hiding under the coffee table. She has a towel under there, she goes there when her sister is bullying her as well. It's her safe place Cool

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Compass wrote:

She is hiding under the coffee table. She has a towel under there, she goes there when her sister is bullying her as well. It's her safe place Cool

Oh bless!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:17 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Oh bless!

She always gets her own back though after one of their scuffles. She will sit on top of the coffee table, wait for her sister to come into the room and then lean down and bash her with her paws. Very funny to watch!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:44 pm

My little sheepdog has never had any problems with fireworks. He has been trained to take loud noises in his stride. Recently he walked among 2000 reving Harley Davison motorcycles at the Thunder in the Glen rally. He also has no problems sitting on the stage when our group is playing, even when the drums are a wee bit loud. This evening we went for our walk round the local bonfires, when it seemed WW3 was in progress, and although interested in the fireworks, particularly the rockets, he was perfectly relaxed. It is all to do with training and confidence building when he was a puppy.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Someone is still letting them off around here Mad I just hope that no child is being injured in unregulated displays.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:29 am

Compass wrote:Someone is still letting them off around here Mad I just hope that no child is being injured in unregulated displays.

Yes here it was still going on until midnight. BTW XFactor did the trick our dog fell asleep on the sofa Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:00 am

Seren wrote:

Really mods from here are over at ADO criticising posters here. Not good Fred. You could post the offending material into the ridiculous posts thread if you like and I'll read them ok


If what you say Seren is true, and I'm sure when you wrote this thread you did believe it. There must be two Davids using the same I.D. One a moderator on here and the other a poster on ADO. I would be the first to apologise if this is the case.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:07 am

fred bloggs wrote:


If what you say Seren is true, and I'm sure when you wrote this thread you did believe it. There must be two Davids using the same I.D. One a moderator on here and the other a poster on ADO. I would be the first to apologise if this is the case.

TBH Fred, I rarely go onto ADO although I have followed the occasional link there but it's as much as my time allows to be here, answering pm's, doing technical stuff, mediating etc etc.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:19 am

David wrote:
Here the same. Our dog is scared No

Why don't you both buy tranquilsers from the vets? They are great at keeping them so calm on bonfore night.
My mum used to use them for our Dovermans, and they just used to sit and be stroked without the trembling and shaking.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:23 pm

fred bloggs wrote:My little sheepdog has never had any problems with fireworks. He has been trained to take loud noises in his stride. Recently he walked among 2000 reving Harley Davison motorcycles at the Thunder in the Glen rally. He also has no problems sitting on the stage when our group is playing, even when the drums are a wee bit loud. This evening we went for our walk round the local bonfires, when it seemed WW3 was in progress, and although interested in the fireworks, particularly the rockets, he was perfectly relaxed. It is all to do with training and confidence building when he was a puppy.

How did you do it Fred? Mine is not a year old yet and I would like to get her over the barking and tearing around she was doing last night.
she was so distressed Evil or Very Mad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:53 pm

fred bloggs wrote:


If what you say Seren is true, and I'm sure when you wrote this thread you did believe it. There must be two Davids using the same I.D. One a moderator on here and the other a poster on ADO. I would be the first to apologise if this is the case.
See my reply to you on jokes section.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Nems Again wrote:

How did you do it Fred? Mine is not a year old yet and I would like to get her over the barking and tearing around she was doing last night.
she was so distressed Evil or Very Mad

I find the best way to do it is gradually getting them used to noise levels. With mine, I start my taking them on buses, reassuring them all the time, but being very firm. Once they are happy with that, we progress to trains. The first time Wally was frightened to death with the noice when the train came in. By the end of the first journey he wanted to jump back in as he had had so much fussing from passengers, but he sat there so well. I deliberately used to take him to noisy places, in fact he has sat beside me while a heavy metal band has played next to us! You have to show them you are not worried and they are safe, easier said than done some times, and some dogs are easier to train than others. My Wally was not a puppy when I got him and very nervous, these days he is so laid back he is normally horizontal!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:33 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

I find the best way to do it is gradually getting them used to noise levels. With mine, I start my taking them on buses, reassuring them all the time, but being very firm. Once they are happy with that, we progress to trains. The first time Wally was frightened to death with the noice when the train came in. By the end of the first journey he wanted to jump back in as he had had so much fussing from passengers, but he sat there so well. I deliberately used to take him to noisy places, in fact he has sat beside me while a heavy metal band has played next to us! You have to show them you are not worried and they are safe, easier said than done some times, and some dogs are easier to train than others. My Wally was not a puppy when I got him and very nervous, these days he is so laid back he is normally horizontal!

Wish Mollie was lol

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by victorismyhero on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:28 pm

IMO...fireworks should be banned...full stop, never mind "public" displays...they would still have to be held near someones house in most cases...and would still terrify wildlife.

why do we "celebrate" 5th of nov...after all, are we not therby celebrating abject failure? Remember folks...old Guido FAILED in his noble quest.

moreover, you do realise dont you that "bonfire night" releases more Dioxin (a VERY nasty substance...and very long lived) into the environment in ONE night than all activity in england does the rest of the year. the carbon footprint is collosal...and not just from the fires...folks travel long distance to attend with families....all the "entertainment" that goes with it..needing lighting, generators etc. Then there is the cost, directly and also as carbon footprint of the vast increase in activity of the emergency services for this time...

also, folks moan about "taxation" and cost of living yet every year spend in some cases hundreds of pounds simply to set fire to it ???????????

finally as a pet owner with dogs cats, aviary birds and poultry...I am SICK of the toll of fear and injuries this so called celebration incurs. All for NO good reason...
avatar
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Posts : 2481
Join date : 2011-02-15
Location : cheshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Fireworks and pets

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:02 pm

victorismyhero wrote:IMO...fireworks should be banned...full stop, never mind "public" displays...they would still have to be held near someones house in most cases...and would still terrify wildlife.

why do we "celebrate" 5th of nov...after all, are we not therby celebrating abject failure? Remember folks...old Guido FAILED in his noble quest.

moreover, you do realise dont you that "bonfire night" releases more Dioxin (a VERY nasty substance...and very long lived) into the environment in ONE night than all activity in england does the rest of the year. the carbon footprint is collosal...and not just from the fires...folks travel long distance to attend with families....all the "entertainment" that goes with it..needing lighting, generators etc. Then there is the cost, directly and also as carbon footprint of the vast increase in activity of the emergency services for this time...

also, folks moan about "taxation" and cost of living yet every year spend in some cases hundreds of pounds simply to set fire to it ???????????

finally as a pet owner with dogs cats, aviary birds and poultry...I am SICK of the toll of fear and injuries this so called celebration incurs. All for NO good reason...

So, in a nutshell, you want them to


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum