Weather in your neck of the woods.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Weather in your neck of the woods.

Post by Aspca4ever on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:47 am

Never let it go unstated - 'if you don't like the weather conditions in the middle of the heartland, just wait 10 minutes'; it's been rather complex this weekend and this image is just an example of the insanity.  White out/blizzard conditions midway over though KS - I70 is closed to due blowing snow & reduced visibility - power outages galore; heavy wet snow on top of trees leafed out and now broken branches bringing power lines down - snapping large trees in halve!

My area is dealing with storm water run off and that's causing flooding into my basement - creeks/ponds/lakes are over flowing and we are soggy moldy mushroom growing habitat for sure!  Spent every 2 - 3 hour rotation monitoring my basement water seepage and stayed ahead of that potential problem for water heater & furnace.  But golly it's chilly, I've had to turn my furnace back on it's only 45º and that's not standing in that cold blowing wind!  No
Soooooo, how's your weather doing - normal or abby-normal??? 
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:53 am

Oh my, ours is quite stable and pleasant in comparison, can even walk out the door in a T shirt. Has to be said, yours is never boring! I think they should make one of those survival programmes in the Heartland. You'd get people going thinking it was a doddle and getting a very nasty surprise!

dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you
Ye are many-they are few.”

Percy Bysshe Shelley  The Masque of Anarchy

"The Labour Party is a moral crusade - or it is nothing " - Harold Wilson
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:00 pm

Sassy wrote:Oh my, ours is quite stable and pleasant in comparison, can even walk out the door in a T shirt.   Has to be said, yours is never boring!   I think they should make one of those survival programmes in the Heartland.   You'd get people going thinking it was a doddle and getting a very nasty surprise!

I'm not sure what Mother Nature, has against western KS, the panhandle of Oklahoma and that section of Texas; that was where those horrid high wind driven pasture wild fires raged across thousands of acres destroying every building/barn/fencing/tree/brush/killing thousands of head of livestock = scorched earth.  Now it's become a winter wonderland of blizzards and heavy wet snow fall with freezing temperature for the past 3 days.  Nothing like killing off the remaining bucket baby calves that were saved when they mommas burnt up or killing off those newborn calves being born daily; nothing to stop those harsh winds blowing 50mph across those barren acres!  Evil or Very Mad  
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:06 pm

Those poor calves. In higher areas of the UK that used to happen to lambs. There would be a bit of warm weather, lambs would be born, then down would come the hail, sleet, snow and/or wind and the farmers would lose a high percentage of them. Many have now turned to having lambs born in barns and not letting them on the pasture until the worst weather is behind us. Now that works when you can say the worst weather is behind you, in your case one way or another, it never is.

dew

Sassy

Back to top Go down

Wouldn't it behoove the RR to reschedule those trains???

Post by Aspca4ever on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Flooding in Neosho leads to train derailment
By: Corley Peel
NEOSHO, Mo. - According to the Newton County Emergency Management Director, the train cars derailed off of Highway 60. Officials say the cars are empty and no hazardous materials were released. First responders have made several water, residential and vehicle rescues today. A Kansas City Southern railroad crew also had to be rescued in the Lime Kiln area. Officials say more flooding is expected in Newton County overnight and those living in low lying areas should evacuate the area.
"We want everyone to stay as safe as they can, if you believe your residence is in a low lying area, evacuate if you can, if you're here you can't and you're trapped or stranded please dial 911 and let us know," says Newton County Emergency Management Director Charla Geller.
Geller says evacuations were also made at the Riverside and Grand Falls campgrounds along Shoal Creek.
http://www.fourstateshomepage.com/news/flooding-in-neosho-leads-to-train-derailment/311970261

This region has the lowest sections of rail lines in this part of the state bordering between KS & Missouri and those nit-wits didn't think ahead to re-route those scheduled runs???  Putting the lives of the train crews in danger and the massive cost to salvage those shipments from the flooded areas. 

Thank god that there weren't any hazardous chemicals loaded on that shipment!
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Mon May 01, 2017 8:39 pm

17" of blowing snow - heavy wet and busting trees in many parts of western Ks - 90,000 residents & businesses out of power - I70 shut down from Salina, KS to the Colorado border - many people stranded along that highway!
Today we finally have sun shine but high winds and it's now nearly 50º - WHOOOOPIEEE
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Mon May 01, 2017 9:02 pm

OMG, I love that meme!!!! Stranded!!! Glad you weren't out in it.

Not too bad at all here today, took Dad out for a drive and some lunch, he was really tired when we got back but at least it got us all out for a bit.

dew

Sassy

Back to top Go down

I should have bought a BURM HOME - really I should have!

Post by Aspca4ever on Thu May 18, 2017 10:30 pm

US National Weather Service Topeka Kansas
A few severe storms may develop along the warm front this afternoon (area noted in red), with more widespread severe weather expected later this afternoon and through the evening hours. These storms will be capable of Tornadoes (possibly strong), Large Hail, Damaging Winds and flash flooding. STAY WEATHER AWARE TODAY AND HAVE YOUR SEVERE WEATHER PLAN IN PLACE!
But, I've got my emergency supplies stocked in and down in the basement - 2 gallons of water - 2 gal of dry dog food - flashlights - med box - dog crate - steel toes boots - cell phone charged up and all of the extra parts to charge late if need be - emergency paper work - just wish I had my garage available to park my KIA in when the HAIL arrives!  UGHHH
Spent the day cleaning & filling hummer & oriole feeders - picking up 2 bundles of limbs from all of the high winds for days - mowed - chickens fed & watered - eggs gathered - power nap taken so I'm ready for the nightly chaos to begin!
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Fri May 19, 2017 10:26 am

Well, it's 5:10am and I've been up doing what I can without electricity ...trying to keep the flood water seeping into my basement from getting into my water heater & furnace; this is such a real 'SUCKY' job and doubly so when the power goes off.  Flashlight & buckets up the stairs and dumped into my shower basin.  Power went off around midnight - just came back on at 4:45am.  Loads of lightening - high straight line winds - thunder - tree limbs down - HAIL/HAIL/HAIL AND MONSOON RAINS.
But I think all of the tornadoes were to the northwest of my area; hell it's hard to tell when the rain wrap hides them and it pitch black out there. 
My chicken neighbors were kind to come over and take my KIA into their huge green building - safe from the hail that was predicted.  My garage is still full of my kitchen rehab: cabinets/wood flooring/counter tops and carpet for the bedrooms & living room.  SOME DAY - some day!
More predictions for HAIL/MONSOON RAINS - high winds and flooding until late Saturday afternoon! 
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Sat May 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Do you ever feel like nature is out to get you? I honestly don't know how you cope Take care and hope it's changed for the better by now x

dew

Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Sat May 20, 2017 11:27 pm

60° with a steady wind from the north - turned the AC off opened a couple of windows, closed them back up when I came in from doing chicken chores ...BRRRR! It was chilly!
Watched tornadoes on the ground moving past where my dear X-MIL lived and I prayed that she'd been helped into a shelter before the vortex blew by her apartment complex - I waited until the funnel cloud was sighted moving on northeast of her location and then I called her; she had NO IDEA - no weather warning alarm sirens had gone off - her NOAA radio system hadn't gone off - the reverse 911 call system hadn't contacted her - but while I was trying to talk to her all of those systems suddenly started going APE SHIT CRAZY!!! WOWSERS ...just 1hr too slow to save a life!
She was pretty upset, especially since she's less than 100' from the grade school where the tornado sirens are located. She was watching something on Discovery Channel and not her local station ...I'm going to call her FIRST, from now on ...I sat here fretting about her for that entire hour and she was oblivious to the danger! My area just had high winds/hail/lots of lightening and RAIN!!! But it's supposed to be clear skies but cooler for the next 3 days. GOOD THING, cause I've got a bad case of poison oak on both of my fore arms and my Ivy Dry Spray just isn't working too well - the burning/itching is driving me crazy! GOOD THING I HAD MY GLOVES ON, or I'd probably have this rash on my face too! Wiping sweat off of my forehead with the back of my gloves and shirt sleeves Wednesday ...thought I might have gotten into some BAD ASS IVY.
Mold - algae - looks like the real land of 'OZ' around here.
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top