Moderation Guidelines

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moderation Guidelines

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:54 am

I have a few pm's from posters about moderation so here goes.

I see moderation as a very difficult task which is never going to please everybody all the time.

In my opinion moderation exists to stop outright abuse which is INTENDED to cause hurt and alarm. For instance almost everything debunker says which is always directed at another poster.

It also stops the same old characters jumping onto every single thread, regardless of the topic, and shouting out their boring old agenda. I'm thinking allakaka with his endless "its all the fault of muslims"

Apologies for using ADO characters but I do not want to offend anybody here ok.

When it comes to banter which uses swearing in a good humoured way well I'm no nun and I have no issue with swearing whatsoever.

People's thoughts on this please?

Admin
Admin

Posts : 213
Join date : 2011-02-14

http://electricsky.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:05 pm

To be really honest Seren, previously I have never been able to settle on ES before, most probably because I am not a serious debater and mainly come on for some light hearted banter and a bit of fun {which is often mistaken for attention seeking, lol}.

But more recently and after an enjoyable evening last night, I am beginning to settle more and more on here. It is very refreshing, that when you make a post, you don't have someone coming up behind you screaming personal abuse at you. Yep, it's a nice place to be! Very Happy




Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:15 pm

As one of the PMers! I have to say I think the site is guilty of a little over moderation sometimes.

We are all adults who all swear in real life. I love fuckwit, its such a satisfying word I also favour tube, berk and arse wipe.

None very ladylike but hey ho neither am I. I DO NOT like insults that are about things that we are and cannot change, like our sexuality, religion gender etc. I have also commented before about the same stock insults being slung each time someone disagrees.

The moderators should be very quick to stamp on deliberate derailment of a thread you used good examples, there is nothing more frustrating than a good debate being halted by someone coming along with a stupid comment about Muslims or a 'joke' about gays.

I think that in the case of insults being traded in the usual spats a less hands on approach may be good.

This of course doesnt include the same tired old bullying techniques being used, I notice that behaviour is creeping on to here.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:19 pm

Of course you can't please everyone all the time and there's absolutely no doubt moderation is a difficult task.

What you have here is a 'friendly circle' of people that in the main respect the opinions of others. I think you've proved here that it is possible to disagree with one another without hurling abuse to reinforce opinion.

I would just say one little thing about... *gulp*....Debunker. Suspect He generally has a logical argument to put forward for debate, but he also knows just what buttons to press to cause outrage.
I've always believed that he uses ADO as a kind of experiment, testing the reactions of posters.
Yet when he get's the reaction he expects, he behaves like a demented being !




Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Hang on.hang on a minute, you are all going of at a tangent ,
the reason we are having this poll is to find a new right wing candidate
suitable for being a moderator, so it is a waste of time nominating any one
with leftism leanings or the forum is going to get more uneven handed
and is missing the point,

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:32 pm

tom sawyer wrote:Hang on.hang on a minute, you are all going of at a tangent ,
the reason we are having this poll is to find a new right wing candidate
suitable for being a moderator, so it is a waste of time nominating any one
with leftism leanings or the forum is going to get more uneven handed
and is missing the point,

As have you tom, Admins OP is about present moderation and posters opinion of it.
Im sure you have one why dont you share it?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:33 pm

tom sawyer wrote:Hang on.hang on a minute, you are all going of at a tangent ,
the reason we are having this poll is to find a new right wing candidate
suitable for being a moderator, so it is a waste of time nominating any one
with leftism leanings or the forum is going to get more uneven handed
and is missing the point,

stop telling us what to do please Tom.

I have listened to you about the need to elect another mod

and NOW I have listened to others about the use of swearing etc on the site

now if you don't mind...............

Admin
Admin

Posts : 213
Join date : 2011-02-14

http://electricsky.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:34 pm

Ban me! As i can't be bothered with that Nazi prick Sawyer any more!
by Compass Today at 9:15 am

He a <content removed>.

_________________
Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Compass
Senior Member

Posts: 631
Points: 626
Reputation: 15
Join date: 2011-10-18


what's this all about ?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by SEXY MAMA on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:36 pm

I agree with you Nems. Its ok to use swear words as i often do but moderation should only come into play when its personal Attacks.
avatar
SEXY MAMA
Enigma
Enigma

Posts : 1169
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 43
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:37 pm

Admin wrote:

stop telling us what to do please Tom.

I have listened to you about the need to elect another mod

and NOW I have listened to others about the use of swearing etc on the site

now if you don't mind...............

who's swearing it looks like phil to me Rolling Eyes

Re: Moderation Guidelines
by tom sawyer Today at 12:34 pm

Ban me! As i can't be bothered with that Nazi prick Sawyer any more!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:39 pm


I am not telling any one what to do i just stated you are missing the whole point of the exercise

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:42 pm

tom sawyer wrote:

who's swearing it looks like phil to me Rolling Eyes

Re: Moderation Guidelines
by tom sawyer Today at 12:34 pm

Ban me! As i can't be bothered with that Nazi prick Sawyer any more!

yes Tom, we have seen it and yes Phil is gone for a while now.

Exactly the sort of swearing you two have both used gets deleted coz its nasty.

where apparently "deck ape" is in but we have yet to establish what it actually means.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:43 pm

tom sawyer wrote:
I am not telling any one what to do i just stated you are missing the whole point of the exercise

its a separate exercise Thomas

I am multitasking Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:04 pm

Admin wrote:I have a few pm's from posters about moderation so here goes.

I see moderation as a very difficult task which is never going to please everybody all the time.

In my opinion moderation exists to stop outright abuse which is INTENDED to cause hurt and alarm. For instance almost everything debunker says which is always directed at another poster.

It also stops the same old characters jumping onto every single thread, regardless of the topic, and shouting out their boring old agenda. I'm thinking allakaka with his endless "its all the fault of muslims"

Apologies for using ADO characters but I do not want to offend anybody here ok.

When it comes to banter which uses swearing in a good humoured way well I'm no nun and I have no issue with swearing whatsoever.

People's thoughts on this please?

Of course, I never swear

In all honesty the only swear word I really object to is the C word. It's often the way in which swear words are used which is the problem. I do think swearing in the written word can have more emphasis than in every day speech. It's not the way I normally speak to people so I don't do it here either, I appreciate that some people do, we're all different.

Non aggressive swearing shouldn't be an issue in my opinion. I have been guilty of it only once on-line when I called Debunker "one who masturbates". I apologised the next day

I'm sure Eilzel will remember that Wink

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:11 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Of course, I never swear

In all honesty the only swear word I really object to is the C word. It's often the way in which swear words are used which is the problem. I do think swearing in the written word can have more emphasis than in every day speech. It's not the way I normally speak to people so I don't do it here either, I appreciate that some people do, we're all different.

Non aggressive swearing shouldn't be an issue in my opinion. I have been guilty of it only once on-line when I called Debunker "one who masturbates". I apologised the next day

I'm sure Eilzel will remember that Wink

That wasn't an opinion FTL it was a statement of fact!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:27 pm

I don't swear but can understand that others do. The use of the 'c' word no longer bothers me...I've seen it used so many times on ADO that it's lost all of it's 'impact'

There are some words that I really object to and one of them is 'nazi' I deplore it's use unless it's genuinely being used to describe the ideology and practice of Nazism.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Seren, to much moderation on certain posters...who don't fall into line..or favour...

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:01 pm

redcorvette wrote:Seren, to much moderation on certain posters...who don't fall into line..or favour...

You would not be trying to provoke would you Red, as you told Mr D you were going to see if you could get banned more times than him? Shocked lol!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:05 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

You would not be trying to provoke would you Red, as you told Mr D you were going to see if you could get banned more times than him? Shocked lol!

That was a joke.. Rolling Eyes did you not ban me the other night....and Seren then reinstate me...?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:07 pm

redcorvette wrote:

That was a joke.. Rolling Eyes did you not ban me the other night....and Seren then reinstate me...?

No, I didn't ban you Red, one of the other mods did, and I believe Seren reinstated you when you apologised and said it would not happen again.


Last edited by sassy1261 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Well for my twopennyworth. I think we are all agreed that opinion should never be moderated, but that abuse that is directed at another poster should be stopped immediately. General things like 'oh you are a dunce' are ok until they then degenerate to worse.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:20 pm

sassy1261 wrote:Well for my twopennyworth. I think we are all agreed that opinion should never be moderated, but that abuse that is directed at another poster should be stopped immediately. General things like 'oh you are a dunce' are ok until they then degenerate to worse.

I would agree with that....let's cut to the chase shall we....you and I have had lets us say many difference of opinion...and a mutual dislike of each other..thats fine as is life...others have mentioned your biased...you don't want/choose to see it...do you?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:26 pm

redcorvette wrote:

I would agree with that....let's cut to the chase shall we....you and I have had lets us say many difference of opinion...and a mutual dislike of each other..thats fine as is life...others have mentioned your biased...you don't want/choose to see it...do you?

What bias, I have never moderated anyone for their opinion, have deleted Phils posts when he has called someone Nazi, Toms when he has been abusive, left H2Os standing when he has been particulary rude to me, and have not banned anyone. I did not ban Mr D either, or moderate his posts, that was done by someone else.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:32 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

What bias, I have never moderated anyone for their opinion, have deleted Phils posts when he has called someone Nazi, Toms when he has been abusive, left H2Os standing when he has been particulary rude to me, and have not banned anyone. I did not ban Mr D either, or moderate his posts, that was done by someone else.

If, that was so, why did you ban me the other night...I was having a doa with ding dong...when Costa butted in with no intention of debating ...only to settled a score from somewhere else..

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Moderation Guidelines

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:34 pm

redcorvette wrote:

If, that was so, why did you ban me the other night...I was having a doa with ding dong...when Costa butted in with no intention of debating ...only to settled a score from somewhere else..

You obviously did not read above, I did not ban you, though to be fair, I think you were as bad as Costa that night, you were both being abusive.


Last edited by sassy1261 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum