Traffic Officer Killed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Traffic Officer Killed

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:15 am

Traffic Officer Killed Helping Stranded Driver
8:26am UK, Tuesday October 25, 2011

A police officer has died after he was struck by a lorry while helping a woman whose car had broken down on the hard shoulder.

PC Mark Goodlad, 41, was airlifted to hospital following the accident on the M1 between junctions 38 and 39 but died from his injuries.

The HGV driver has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

West Yorkshire Police Federation chairman Andrew Tempest-Mitchell said: "It is a sad day for West Yorkshire Police who have lost a dedicated officer who has been killed doing a very dangerous job.

"It was my understanding he was a very experienced road traffic officer."

It is understood he was married with one child and had been in the force for 10 years.

Tributes to the officer were posted on the internet within hours of his death.

One tweet said: "How sad, no-one should die doing their job."

Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police Sir Norman Bettison said: "People sometimes overlook the real essence of policing.

"We exist to protect the public from threat and harm. Sometimes it is about crime, sometimes disorder.

"Today it was about the dangerous environment of the motorway.

"Mark paid the ultimate sacrifice and we are all proud of him and are saddened by his loss.

"Our thoughts and sympathy are with Mark's family. We shall try to be there for them as Mark was there for the public at large

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16095554

Back to top Go down

Re: Traffic Officer Killed

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Terrible, I wonder why the HGV driver was arrested? I was watching drivers on the M25 a couple of weeks ago and most were doing something in addition to driving.

Eating, smoking, texting, talking on the phone. You can do so much damage with an HGV. Whatever this guy did, guilty or innocent, he'll have to live with himsef No

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top