Riot sentencing appeals rejected

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Riot sentencing appeals rejected

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:12 am

Seven out of 10 sentence challenges brought by people jailed for crimes committed during August's riots have been rejected by Court of Appeal judges.
Two men given four-year terms for setting up Facebook pages inciting others to riot were among the failed appeals.

Link - Press Association

I accept that some of the sentences handed out appeared to be rather over the top...but I'm generally pleased that these appeals have failed. Smile

Back to top Go down

Re: Riot sentencing appeals rejected

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Many people will undoubtably make the link between the opportunistic theft of bottled water and a jail sentence with the bankers and politicians carefully planned thefts of OUR money and getting away scott free.

This will serve to make people angrier if anything.

Personally I couldn't give a damn if chavs get locked up for rioting, thieving or making threatening facebook pages but I dare say that the "so called 99%" with their constant whining about being entitled to having everything and having it right now will take these sentences as a further sign of the "oppression of the 1%"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:49 pm

Seren wrote:Many people will undoubtably make the link between the opportunistic theft of bottled water and a jail sentence with the bankers and politicians carefully planned thefts of OUR money and getting away scott free.

Personally I couldn't give a damn if chavs get locked up for rioting, thieving or making threatening facebook pages but I dare say that the "so called 99%" with their constant whining about being entitled to having everything and having it right now will take these sentences as a further sign of the "oppression of the 1%"

Don't think it will make the slightest difference to the people protesting now, they are starting something totally different. They, and I, want a complete overhaul of the system, nothing to do with people wanting everything now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:13 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Don't think it will make the slightest difference to the people protesting now, they are starting something totally different. They, and I, want a complete overhaul of the system, nothing to do with people wanting everything now.

just like any other group who has finally woken up to the injustice of the system, Occupy Wall Street protesters will soon learn that the fact that there is little which will change because of this

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Seren wrote:

just like any other group who has finally woken up to the injustice of the system, Occupy Wall Street protesters will soon learn that the fact that there is little which will change because of this

Well, lets just say I hope you are wrong. I have this feeling we are at a turning point. For the last 30 years people have been very apathetic, but I know sense the same feeling that was around in the 60s, I'm really hoping I'm right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:53 pm

people awaken to the injustice of an impending war

they protest about systematic cruelty to farm and lab animals

they protest at the dismantling of their industries - coal, steel, potteries - sometimes as with the coal industry violently

believe me nothing will happen, small groups of people will never change anything and the establishment works hard at divide and conquer to make sure as hell the whole poulace never unite

apparently the X factor is not holding their complete attention this year, if I was a complete and utter cynic I would say expect a new and supposedly exciting entertainment to spontaneously appear in the next say year or so

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:27 pm

Seren wrote:people awaken to the injustice of an impending war

they protest at the dismantling of their industries - coal, steel, potteries - sometimes as with the coal industry violently

believe me nothing will happen, small groups of people will never change anything and the establishment works hard at divide and conquer to make sure as hell the whole poulace never unite

apparently the X factor is not holding their complete attention this year, if I was a complete and utter cynic I would say expect a new and supposedly exciting entertainment to spontaneously appear in the next say year or so

or a new and terrible religious devil worshiping paedophile ring........remember the highlands and islands scandle a while back....and STILL no appology or restitution for the families affected........
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Seren wrote:people awaken to the injustice of an impending war

Maybe we will get a nice royal baby to ahh over and stop us from thinking about the fact that we are being shafted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Seren wrote:Many people will undoubtably make the link between the opportunistic theft of bottled water and a jail sentence with the bankers and politicians carefully planned thefts of OUR money and getting away scott free.

You have no problem with a chav making a stupid bravo joke on facebook being jailed? Do you realize what that could lead to for online communities in the future? Most of the sentences were knee jerk populist reactions designed not to keep the peace but to satisy the tabloid reading masses. I disagree angel, most of the OTT sentences ought to be overturned, and only those that really warranted it punished. The opportunistic idiots who naabbed a bottle of water (etc etc) will have been scared enough to learn their lesson imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:16 pm

eilzel wrote:

You have no problem with a chav making a stupid bravo joke on facebook being jailed? Do you realize what that could lead to for online communities in the future? Most of the sentences were knee jerk populist reactions designed not to keep the peace but to satisy the tabloid reading masses. I disagree angel, most of the OTT sentences ought to be overturned, and only those that really warranted it punished. The opportunistic idiots who naabbed a bottle of water (etc etc) will have been scared enough to learn their lesson imo.

Hiya x

Although I agree that the sentence of 4 years for the Facebook comments was exceedingly harsh, I don't think that the majority of the other sentences were beyond reasonable. Most had previous convictions, were not first time offenders and took advantage of the chaos and mayhem that ensued those nights. That's not opportunistic.

The person that nabbed the bottle of water was in a group of others looting and destroying property and businesses that someone had worked hard to build up. The sentence was not just for nabbing the water, it was for being part of a violent mob terrorising communities.

At some point, people must take responsibility for their own actions. We have to start somewhere....

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:21 pm

they should thinkthemselves lucky they live in such a pussy society.....I would have ordered the police to open fire with live rounds......
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:27 pm

victorismyhero wrote:they should thinkthemselves lucky they live in such a pussy society.....I would have ordered the police to open fire with live rounds......

...and I thought I was hard. Shocked

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Angel wrote:

...and I thought I was hard. Shocked

lol!

I doubt very much if there would have been a second day of looting.......

victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:45 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

I doubt very much if there would have been a second day of looting.......

Or likely to ever happen again.....

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top