UK could introduce obesity tax, says David Cameron

View previous topic View next topic Go down

UK could introduce obesity tax, says David Cameron

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Prime minister says 'fat tax' could help prevent health coasts soaring and life expectancy falling.

David Cameron says Britain could introduce a 'fat tax' to deal with a growing obesity problem. Photograph: Christopher Furlong/Getty Images

The government will consider introducing a "fat tax" to tackle Britain's growing obesity levels, the prime minister, David Cameron, has said.

Cameron said drastic action was needed to prevent health costs soaring and life expectancy falling.

Under measures introduced in Denmark recently, a surcharge is being placed on foods that contain more than 2.3% saturated fat. The levy targets high-fat products such as butter, milk, cheese, pizza, meat, oil and processed food.

Danish consumers have criticised the move, which has left many retailers complaining of excessive bureaucracy.

However, Cameron said the introduction of a similar idea in the UK should not be ruled out.

"I think it is something that we should look at," he told 5 News during a round of broadcast interviews at the Tory conference in Manchester. "The problem in the past when people have looked at using the tax system in this way is the impact it can have on people on low incomes. But frankly, do we have a problem with the growing level of obesity? Yes. Do we have a kind of warning in terms of – look at America, how bad things have got there – what happens if we don't do anything? Yes, that should be a wake-up call."

He added: "I am worried about the costs to the health service, [and] the fact that some people are going to have shorter lives than their parents."

He warned that obesity was on the verge of overtaking smoking and drinking as the "biggest health challenge" facing Britain.

"Don't rule anything out, but let's look at the evidence and let's look at the impact on families," he added.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/oct/04/uk-obesity-tax-david-cameron

Yes because taxing tobacco and alcohol solved those "health challenges" didn't it? Rolling Eyes

Sounds like another revenue generator to me........

Back to top Go down

Re: UK could introduce obesity tax, says David Cameron

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:25 pm

Me too, just put a thread on General News about it. Just at a time when scientists are discovering all sorts of reasons for obesity, they come up with this to raise money!

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Obviously the carbon tax fiddle isnt providing enough pocket money for the b'stards
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:03 pm

victorismyhero wrote:Obviously the carbon tax fiddle isnt providing enough pocket money for the b'stards

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:54 pm

It would prove to be a tax too far, in my opinion. The ordinary people of this country are already taxed to the hilt and most, apparently, can see little that they are getting in return for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:51 am

Aleister Crowley wrote:It would prove to be a tax too far, in my opinion. The ordinary people of this country are already taxed to the hilt and most, apparently, can see little that they are getting in return for it.

I wish! We will probably form an orderly queque to pay it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:53 pm

agree sassy, most people are quite happy to take any amount of rubbish without doing anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top