Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post new topic   Reply to topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:49 pm

Renters forced to give up animals as landlords impose restrictions on ownership.


Blue has been waiting at Battersea for a new home since May when her owner was evicted. Photograph: Battersea Dogs and Cats Home

The boom in the rental market has created an unexpected number of victims: pets that landlords are refusing to allow in their properties.

The difficulty in securing mortgages and an increase in people losing their homes through repossession has led to a sharp increase in the number of people renting. But while human tenants have a one in four chance of securing accommodation, according to the flatsharing website EasyRoomate, their pets have a much lower chance of being accepted.

More than 236 dogs and cats were left at Battersea Dogs and Cats Home in south London in 2010 because their owners were suffering housing problems and 141 pets have been deposited in the first half of this year. The charity expects the number to rise further and for pets to face a longer wait at its three rehoming centres as increasing numbers of tenants face restrictions on pet ownership.

Battersea's aim is never to turn away a dog or cat in need of its help, but with eviction and tenancy agreements among the most common reasons for people giving up their pets, the charity says this is now at risk. It is calling for more lenient tenancy agreements that allow pets to live with their owners.

Blue, a timid 14-year-old cat, has been waiting at Battersea for a new home since May when her owner was evicted.

Battersea's head of intake, Liz McWalter, said: "We're seeing a lot of owners coming to us when they are left with no option but to give up their pet because of housing problems. Seeking our help is the responsible thing to do and we will always aim to do all we can. Owners should never resort to dumping or abandoning their pet."

Some local authorities, such as Wandsworth council in south London, are starting to allow council tenants to keep pets at their homes provided they are microchipped so that they can be identified and returned home should they go astray.

Website Pet Friendly Rentals supports tenants by providing information about private landlords who will allow pets in their properties. Creator Darren Lock said: "Pets just don't understand why, one day, they have a lap to curl up on and, the next day, their lives are turned upside down through no fault of their own. Encouraging more landlords to allow pets will help to keep more families together."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jul/27/pet-owners-rented-accommodation


What a terrible position to be placed in Sad

I could understand Landlords not wanting people to have lots of pets but surely a dog or a couple of cats should be ok?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:02 pm

Sadly, a lot of people are giving up their horses....as they are so expensive to keep.....a lot of these "vile" horse traders will be looking to cash so as to sell them to places like France....

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:19 pm

We have two dogs and it was very hard to find somewhere to rent who would accept them. Luckily my previous landlord gave me a reference and said my dog had never caused any problems. I'd live in a tent rather than give up my dog.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:28 pm

sassy1261 wrote:We have two dogs and it was very hard to find somewhere to rent who would accept them. Luckily my previous landlord gave me a reference and said my dog had never caused any problems. I'd live in a tent rather than give up my dog.

Me too Sassy and there must be many others. I thought we were a nation of animal lovers? Are landlords the exception..........or it it pounds and pence that is more important Sad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:38 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Me too Sassy and there must be many others. I thought we were a nation of animal lovers? Are landlords the exception..........or it it pounds and pence that is more important Sad

Pounds and pence and the damage some animals do, landlords do not know which animals are well behaved and which aren't.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:44 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Pounds and pence and the damage some animals do, landlords do not know which animals are well behaved and which aren't.

I haven't rented a house but don't you have to give a deposit to ensure that you leave the property in the same condition that you found it? Couldn't landlords ask for a higher deposit if they have concerns about pets to ensure that they are protected? confused

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:49 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

I haven't rented a house but don't you have to give a deposit to ensure that you leave the property in the same condition that you found it? Couldn't landlords ask for a higher deposit if they have concerns about pets to ensure that they are protected? confused

A desposit is normal one month's rent or a month and a half. Don't know about you, but I have seen some houses where a dog has been allowed to pee everywhere, chewed all the door frames, dug holes in the skirting boards, chewed up the carpet and turned a nice garden into a battlefield. I totally understand where the landlords are coming from, but there must be a way of finding out whether a dog is well behaved or not, how I don't quite know.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:06 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

A desposit is normal one month's rent or a month and a half. Don't know about you, but I have seen some houses where a dog has been allowed to pee everywhere, chewed all the door frames, dug holes in the skirting boards, chewed up the carpet and turned a nice garden into a battlefield. I totally understand where the landlords are coming from, but there must be a way of finding out whether a dog is well behaved or not, how I don't quite know.

My MIL has a dog which she takes as a pat dog to care homes etc. He had to undergo a test to ensure he was suitable. Maybe dogs could be assessed by a qualified individual, with their own professional indemnity insurance and provided with suitable certification to offer comfort to landlords? A gap in the market perhaps? scratch

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by victorismyhero on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:20 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

My MIL has a dog which she takes as a pat dog to care homes etc. He had to undergo a test to ensure he was suitable. Maybe dogs could be assessed by a qualified individual, with their own professional indemnity insurance and provided with suitable certification to offer comfort to landlords? A gap in the market perhaps? scratch

It would perhaps be better to asses the owners first..to see if they are half way bright enough to own a pet. Question
avatar
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Posts : 2599
Join date : 2011-02-15
Location : cheshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:22 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

It would perhaps be better to asses the owners first..to see if they are half way bright enough to own a pet. Question

Hear hear!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:29 pm

I agree Victor. I wish people could be assessed before having children too, unfortunately it's unlikely Sad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:13 pm

Owners should indeed be assessed and thoroughly too and I say so entirely for the benefit of the animal (dogs specifically)

BOTH my neighbours have dogs that in my opinion should NOT be there at all...(both are terraced houses)
WHY the hell do people get a dog then go out all day to work leaving the poor animal all alone, howling and crying and barking incessantly...?
Because THEY don't hear it then that doesn't matter it seems...?
Neither neighbour ever takes the dog for excercise and the gardens are their lavatory also (probably inside the houses too?)
One has TWO Staffy type bloody ugly looking animals where ones daughter has just dropped a newborn kid recently too, so I foresee a meal for at least ONE dog there shortly...
(oooh they're both ok with kids...they are really softies...yeah right!)

I did have a GSD that was forever out with me excercising...he would make a single loud WOOF when the post or papers arrived but that was that.....but I now only have cats, that have in fact adopted ME...their owner couldn't have cared less and BOTH were terrifyingly nervous at first when I befriended them both...!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by victorismyhero on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:18 pm

The indepenDant wrote:Owners should indeed be assessed and thoroughly too and I say so entirely for the benefit of the animal (dogs specifically)

BOTH my neighbours have dogs that in my opinion should NOT be there at all...(both are terraced houses)
WHY the hell do people get a dog then go out all day to work leaving the poor animal all alone, howling and crying and barking incessantly...?
Because THEY don't hear it then that doesn't matter it seems...?
Neither neighbour ever takes the dog for excercise and the gardens are their lavatory also (probably inside the houses too?)
One has TWO Staffy type bloody ugly looking animals where ones daughter has just dropped a newborn kid recently too, so I foresee a meal for at least ONE dog there shortly...
(oooh they're both ok with kids...they are really softies...yeah right!)

I did have a GSD that was forever out with me excercising...he would make a single loud WOOF when the post or papers arrived but that was that.....but I now only have cats, that have in fact adopted ME...their owner couldn't have cared less and BOTH were terrifyingly nervous at first when I befriended them both...!

Good points, and i have wondered much the same myself, why have a dog...if you dont want to be with it/excercise it etc??
and as for staffys yeuk....

personally...i would give 15 years notice....any breed with bull in its name AS OF NOW (to stop prats changing the name) will be destroyed on sight....they were bred initially for one thing and one thing only...FIGHTING its in their blood and in their nature. I love dogs in general, but i dislike the bull breeds immensely.
avatar
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Posts : 2599
Join date : 2011-02-15
Location : cheshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:20 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Pounds and pence and the damage some animals do, landlords do not know which animals are well behaved and which aren't.

Best way to get your dog into your home...

1 Take up the house/flat without your dog whilst you put your dog into a kennel if you can afford it.

2 After a few weeks/months of exemplary tenancy introduce the pet as a refugee as your previous partner etc cannot have them THIS weekend

3 Say that the previous relationship has broke down, you are now lumbered with the pet, get neighbours, fellow tenants to say how the pet has NOT been a problem so far

easy, peasy!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:55 pm

That would still be a contravention of the rental contract though?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Pet owners face struggle to find rented accommodation

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:43 pm

The indepenDant wrote:That would still be a contravention of the rental contract though?

Spoilsport No lol!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic
 
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum