Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post new topic   Reply to topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:31 am

Ministers send prosecutors new guidelines against families who send young girls abroad to undergo the brutal procedure.

New guidelines to target families that take young girls abroad to undergo female genital mutilation are being sent to prosecutors by the government.

Ministers want to encourage more action against those who inflict the brutal procedure on their children and relatives amid concerns that the current approach serves as little deterrent.

Female genital mutilation is an illegal procedure in the UK with those convicted risking 14 years' imprisonment. The Female Genital Mutilation Act of 2003 also allows for the prosecution of British citizens who breach the provisions of the act and perform the procedure abroad.

But while the law seems strict on paper, it seems to have limited effect in practice. Campaigners say 22,000 girls are at risk each year. However, MPs were this week told that there has yet to be a single conviction, despite 100 investigations being carried out over two years by the Met. By contrast the French authorities have successfully prosecuted in 100 cases.

Fears are currently acute because the long school summer holidays are when many girls are flown to Africa, the Middle East and parts of the far east, oblivious to what has been planned for them.

Outlining the new approach to the House of Commons, the Home Office minister Jeremy Wright said: "There are a number of things we can do. We should look not only to punish those who are responsible for committing these offences but to improve the guidance available to prosecutors so that they can prosecute more often. If there are difficulties with prosecuting, they might be to do with the types of information and understanding that crown prosecutors need to have and later this summer the CPS will therefore be issued with new guidelines to assist."

Advice compiled by the Home Office, Foreign Office, the education department and the health department will also be sent to teachers and GPs, the minister said. "We need to broaden awareness more generally and have sent out some 40,000 leaflets and 40,000 posters to schools, health services, charities and community groups, because wider society needs to understand what is happening," he added. "We also need to assist victims, which we are doing with 15 specialist NHS clinics offering a range of services, including so-called reversal surgery. Women can go to those centres direct and do not need to be referred."

The minister was responding to Jane Ellison, the Tory MP for Battersea, who made an impassioned plea for the issue to be taken more seriously. She described genital mutilation as "a brutal crime perpetrated against those who are least able to protect themselves: little girls and young women. In every case, the health of the girl or woman is damaged, often irreparably. What is most shocking of all is that a great many of these criminal acts are perpetrated against girls aged 10 and under, right down to infants."

Ellison quoted figures from the Foundation for Women's Health, Research and Development (Forward), which suggest that around 66,000 women and girls in England and Wales have already been subject to genital mutilation and well over 22,000 should be considered as "at risk". "In some areas of London, about 5% of women giving birth present with signs of mutilation," she told the house.

"Headteachers have described to me happy and outgoing young girls who have returned from their summer holidays withdrawn and distressed. I struggle to understand why the systematic and brutal wounding of young girls is not considered a national scandal. I know that right honourable and honourable members would not tolerate a situation in which little British girls were taken abroad and returned missing their fingers. Likewise, we should not tolerate female genital mutilation."

Two weeks ago the Met and the charity Kids Taskforce launched a teaching aid for schools: a short documentary made by pupils in south London with assistance from journalists from ITN and one of the producers of Come Dine With Me. Sharon Doughty, the founder of Kids Taskforce, said they hope to raise awareness among teachers but also pupils themselves.

"Any move towards a prosecution would be a fantastic development. We need a prosecution. It would send an important message."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/22/female-genital-mutilation-laws-families

Heartbreaking, how anyone could do this to their own little girl I will never know Sad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Sorry, FTL, but I'll believe this, when I see it! Sad

As this problem only affects one section of the Community, they authorities are sh*t scared of tackling this, for fear of being branded "Racist"! Sad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:57 pm

They have already changed the guidelines Mr D and have already started a programme of information and about time too.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:01 pm

sassy1261 wrote:They have already changed the guidelines Mr D and have already started a programme of information and about time too.

Hi Sassy x

Too true. I tried to look into this story to understand it a little better but I just couldn't. It's absolutely brutal Sad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Hi Sassy x

Too true. I tried to look into this story to understand it a little better but I just couldn't. It's absolutely brutal Sad

Its something I have tried to help campaign about with various groups for more years than I care to think off. When I was in my 30s there was a tv programme. The reporter had tried to get to a young girl who this was going to be done to, but they locked her in a room. She kept her tape recorder going and and child's screams will stay with me forever. All I can do is write letters, but have tried to do as many as I can for various groups. Its just so awful.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:16 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Its something I have tried to help campaign about with various groups for more years than I care to think off. When I was in my 30s there was a tv programme. The reporter had tried to get to a young girl who this was going to be done to, but they locked her in a room. She kept her tape recorder going and and child's screams will stay with me forever. All I can do is write letters, but have tried to do as many as I can for various groups. Its just so awful.

It is Sassy Sad Do you have a website or any advice on how to help? x

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:40 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

It is Sassy Sad Do you have a website or any advice on how to help? x

http://www.womenforwomen.org/help-women/help-women-globally-uk.php
http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/women-s-rights/violence-against-women/violence-against-women-information

The are many more.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:57 pm

I think they should all be sent away for said treatment at the earliest...but NOT allowed to ever return back here again...sort of voluntary repatriation?

Such people see fit to want to continue with their origins and culture, therefore they are not prepared to forsake them in order to live within THIS supposed civilised society...

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:09 pm

The indepenDant wrote:I think they should all be sent away for said treatment at the earliest...but NOT allowed to ever return back here again...sort of voluntary repatriation?

Such people see fit to want to continue with their origins and culture, therefore they are not prepared to forsake them in order to live within THIS supposed civilised society...

As I said on another thread, I'm too polite to reply.

Actually no I am not. You are saying that we send these little girls away for FGM, then, when they are in terrible pain, their lives have been blighted and they are totally confused and frightened, we should not let them back in again, rather than trying to stop this. You seem to forget that there were many things done in this country and women had to fight to not be regarded as being a chattel of their husbands, not having everything they owned classed as belonging to their husbands and then to get the vote. Woman standing together will get this changed, no matter how long it takes, and we will not be put of doing this by men who see it as a side issue of getting immigrants repatriated. I also cannot tell you how disgusted your reply made me.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:48 am

sassy1261 wrote:

As I said on another thread, I'm too polite to reply.

Actually no I am not. You are saying that we send these little girls away for FGM, then, when they are in terrible pain, their lives have been blighted and they are totally confused and frightened, we should not let them back in again, rather than trying to stop this. You seem to forget that there were many things done in this country and women had to fight to not be regarded as being a chattel of their husbands, not having everything they owned classed as belonging to their husbands and then to get the vote. Woman standing together will get this changed, no matter how long it takes, and we will not be put of doing this by men who see it as a side issue of getting immigrants repatriated. I also cannot tell you how disgusted your reply made me.

I agree Sassy. The only people who would suffer as a result of the action suggested by IndepenDant would the children themselves. The innocent parties.

The way to stop this is to prosecute the families who are sending the girls abroad for such an horrific procedure.

This is not an immigration issue, it's about ensuring that innocent young girls are not being physically and mentally abused No


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by victorismyhero on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:40 pm

The indepenDant wrote:I think they should all be sent away for said treatment at the earliest...but NOT allowed to ever return back here again...sort of voluntary repatriation?

Such people see fit to want to continue with their origins and culture, therefore they are not prepared to forsake them in order to live within THIS supposed civilised society...

one can only assume from the above post that you condone such torture of innocent children. Do we take it that the reason for your approval of this is because of their (tbe children,s) cultural origins, or is it because the victims are girls.


Just because these poor kids parents are primitive barbarians does NOT provide RW knuckle-draggers with an excuse to punish them for their ethnicity.
TBH, I am sickened by this post, which IMO reveals clearly the state of mind ( if mind you can call it ) of the far right. It (the post) remains undeleted by me soley because I do beleive that only by allowing the Right to expose its TRUE values in this way, can folks be kept aware of the evil that lies behind the mask.
avatar
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Posts : 2585
Join date : 2011-02-15
Location : cheshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:41 pm

I shall ignore the wet behind ears & spineless attitudes as you display, when one offers ones OWN comments that plainly oppose your own weak willed opinions...part of your post:-
"which IMO reveals clearly the state of mind"

Victor tbh your only talent is one of assuming incorrectly and to make arrogant remarks whenever you see a post or comment that YOU do not agree with...!

I WILL say that I have absolutely NO concern whatsoever regarding their status, ethnicity or sexual status NOR any desire to "punish them for their ethnicity"...how arrogant of you to suggest that..!

Can I suggest what these ignorant people do in their OWN country is absolutely no business whatsoever of the misguided, ignorant & weak minded wet heads over HERE...

YOU are dabbling with another countries culture (right or wrong) and somehow seem to think that the rest of the world should do and act as YOU wish them to and YOU must tick all THEIR boxes to suit YOUR viewpoint...!

MY only concern is that these people are OVER HERE...!

It seems that as long as some of you whinge around on here and stop the odd one or two getting "serviced" then the trillions that will ALWAYS be similarly serviced overseas will miraculously cease being so...?
Any Jews on here?
Dream on losers...Dream on!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Once again you show your total ignorance. This practice is slowing being stopped, with the help of people working within communities, mostly women. There are a very many of them and they are very determined. It will unfortunately take a long time, and every little girl is one little too many.

I think we have been very lenient with your posts so far. If you continue to be abusive for the sake of it, you will be moderated.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by victorismyhero on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:03 pm

The indepenDant wrote:I shall ignore the wet behind ears & spineless attitudes as you display, when one offers ones OWN comments that plainly oppose your own weak willed opinions...part of your post:-
"which IMO reveals clearly the state of mind"

Victor tbh your only talent is one of assuming incorrectly and to make arrogant remarks whenever you see a post or comment that YOU do not agree with...!

I WILL say that I have absolutely NO concern whatsoever regarding their status, ethnicity or sexual status NOR any desire to "punish them for their ethnicity"...how arrogant of you to suggest that..!

Can I suggest what these ignorant people do in their OWN country is absolutely no business whatsoever of the misguided, ignorant & weak minded wet heads over HERE...

YOU are dabbling with another countries culture (right or wrong) and somehow seem to think that the rest of the world should do and act as YOU wish them to and YOU must tick all THEIR boxes to suit YOUR viewpoint...!

MY only concern is that these people are OVER HERE...!

It seems that as long as some of you whinge around on here and stop the odd one or two getting "serviced" then the trillions that will ALWAYS be similarly serviced overseas will miraculously cease being so...?
Any Jews on here?
Dream on losers...Dream on!

I quote....[ I think they should all be sent away for said treatment at the earliest], So oviously You condone such treatment. Since the children here are victims of their parents wrongdoing, the ONLY interpretation is that out of hate for their parents you would allow this to happen to their children. You are to a large extent correct in your assumption that we can do little about what happens "over there" but we can, and should, do everything to prevent it happening here. Nowhere have I suggested we should even try to interfere with another country's practices, but such practices are NOT part of our countres heritage and we have the means (if not the political will) to stop it here.

Do NOT make the mistake of lumping me in the LW camp along with others , for I am not...but neither do I subscribe to the heartless dictatorial monstrosity of the Far Right.

Your Far right rhetoric of "spineless and wet behind the ears" has a hollow clang to it, I've heard it all before, particularly when the RW try to defend the indefensible.
avatar
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Posts : 2585
Join date : 2011-02-15
Location : cheshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Female genital mutilation laws to be toughened against families

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:43 am

Feelthelove wrote:
New guidelines to target families that take young girls abroad to undergo female genital mutilation are being sent to prosecutors by the government.


How exactly are they going to target particular families. I'd imagine that they will have to inspect girls upon their return from their holidays but how will they single which girls are to be expected.

Do they merely target Somalian girls where Somalia has a 95% take up of FGM or maybe girls from Cameroon where the uptake is a mere 20%?

Isn't that called "racial profiling" and totally illegal here in Britain?

Maybe the British authorities will have to be fair and routinely inspect all girls returning from holiday including Anglo-Saxon children where the take up of FGM has historically been 0%.

This was the outcome in Sweden when the authorities there decided to try and eradicate the problem with FGM amongst the Somalian immigrant population.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic
 
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum