Does Anyone Here Grow their Own Fruit and Vegetables?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does Anyone Here Grow their Own Fruit and Vegetables?

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:44 pm

My hubby and I do and I know that Stardesk does but it is a dying skill? Sad

I was born in a rural area and everyone grew their own fruit and vegetables and fathers passed on these skills to their children. My father-in-law who I miss dearly, spent hours and hours passing on his years of knowledge to my husband and I.

The reason I ask is because of a comment Stardesk made about young people not understanding how potatoes grow etc. I took a banana into work one day and someone actually asked me if I'd grown it in my garden????!!! What a Face

It's a valuable skill and very rewarding. There is nothing like picking your own sweetcorn, one minute and cooking it on the BBQ 10 minutes later cheers

Back to top Go down

Re: Does Anyone Here Grow their Own Fruit and Vegetables?

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Agreed, we only have a tiny garden and only had it since December, and as it is rented can't do a lot, but there are miniture cherry, apple, pear and plum trees and one with fruit on that I think is figs, never having grown them before. I have growbags with salad stuff and herbs in, chillies and tomatoes. If I had my own garden I would do what I used to, and keep the family supplied with just about everything! There is nothing like picking an apple off the tree and eating it, just tastes so fresh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:41 am

sassy1261 wrote:Agreed, we only have a tiny garden and only had it since December, and as it is rented can't do a lot, but there are miniture cherry, apple, pear and plum trees and one with fruit on that I think is figs, never having grown them before. I have growbags with salad stuff and herbs in, chillies and tomatoes. If I had my own garden I would do what I used to, and keep the family supplied with just about everything! There is nothing like picking an apple off the tree and eating it, just tastes so fresh.

It's well worth the effort involved isn't it Sassy. Everything tastes so different. Going to be able to have our first runner beans this year tomorrow cheers

I always pick lots and freeze them for over the winter too Very Happy x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi All Very Happy x

I hate kitchen gadgets, they sit on the side and gather dust No

This is one gadget I would recommend wholeheartedly to anyone who grows their own runner beans or just likes them in general!

Krisk French Runner Bean Slicer, Cutter and Stringer Gadget Tool by Krisk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Krisk-French-Runner-Slicer-Stringer/dp/B002G3I4XY

It's only 2.50 and if you freeze your runner beans for the winter it's a real time saver sunny x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:32 pm

Will look out for it, cos I like mine done lenghways and its such a long job by hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:44 pm

sassy1261 wrote:Will look out for it, cos I like mine done lenghways and its such a long job by hand.

I bought mine on-line but they sell them in Lakeland Plastics Sassy, I haven't got shares in the company either lol!

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top