British Universities for Foreign Students – Another Tory Pledge Broken

View previous topic View next topic Go down

British Universities for Foreign Students – Another Tory Pledge Broken

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:22 pm

At the same time as Theresa May vowed last month to slash numbers of student immigration, the Tory universities minister flew to Brazil to lobby for 10,000 of its students to come to Britain.

Conservative minister David Willetts made the trip despite his party’s promise to allow 85,000 fewer non-EU nationals into the UK each year on student visas.

The Brazilian government has said it will provide up to £18,700 per student, an amount welcomed by Universities UK, the representative body for universities in this country, who said the scheme will bring ‘rich rewards’.

But last night the move was criticised as a desperate attempt from the foundering coalition government to balance its books.

General Secretary of the University and College Union Sally Hunt said, ‘The government must not use overseas students as cash cows, and as a way of bailing out its flawed university funding plans.

‘With hundreds of thousands of domestic students set to miss out on a university place this summer, ministers shouldn't be looking to ration access on the basis of who can pay the most.’

The development follows a £200 million cut by the government to state funding for higher education, which will result in 24,000 fewer places for UK and EU students over the next two academic years.

Findings published last week also suggested that 220,000 UK and EU students would be unable to attain places this autumn, following a 1.4 per cent year-on-year increase in demand for university places as of the end of June.

The deal was discussed at a meeting in Brazil attended by Willetts, Brazilian ministers and thirteen British university vice-chancellors, including those from Birmingham, Warwick and Nottingham.

It is expected that the Brazilian undergraduates would stay in the UK for nine months, although the British government is also exploring the possibility of offering postgraduate courses.

Non-EU students pay fees of up to £26,000 per annum and are not counted within the allotment that each university is allowed to take on each year.

It is estimated that the numbers of overseas students being educated in the UK could double in four years as universities seek sources of revenue amid punitive government cuts.

Durham University is expecting a 97 per cent rise in the number of international students between now and 2014–15, and Exeter anticipates a 73 per cent rise across four of its colleges.

Figures show that the number of British students gaining places on degree courses starting last autumn fell by 0.1 per cent, from 425,063 to 424,634.

But the number of non-EU students rose by 7.8 per cent, from 32,984 to 37,088.

There was a 27.8 per cent increase in students from China and a 20.4 per cent rise in students from Singapore.

On average, 350,000 foreign students enter Britain every year, according to official figures.

Around 60 per cent of them are from outside of the EU.

Brazil currently does not have a single school on the Times Higher Education Supplement list of the top 200 universities in the world. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Re: British Universities for Foreign Students – Another Tory Pledge Broken

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:00 am

They are never going to stop this all the time they can make a huge profit from it, and it is huge. By the way, final sentence, I think you meant 'they don't have a single university', a school would not be on the university list! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:14 am

sassy1261 wrote:They are never going to stop this all the time they can make a huge profit from it, and it is huge. By the way, final sentence, I think you meant 'they don't have a single university', a school would not be on the university list! Laughing

My, we are being a pedant today, aren't we! Twisted Evil

By school, I think you'll find that Primary, Secondary, Grammar, College and University's, all come under the classification as "Schools of Learning" Twisted Evil

Last edited by MrDoodles on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:53 am

so sorry mr D, I am giggling away, I think you meant pedantic, not pendant, I'm not a flipping light shade!!! That gave me a good giggle!

PS, they might be schools of learning, but they would not come into the top 200 university list!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:03 am

Sassy in most countries they call universities, schools.

As for the post, I think the head of the UCU has a cheek to say that the government are suing foreign students as a cash cow, Universities have been doing this for years.

If it brings in money to the UK how can it be a bad thing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 am

sassy1261 wrote:so sorry mr D, I am giggling away, I think you meant pedantic, not pendant, I'm not a flipping light shade!!! That gave me a good giggle!

PS, they might be schools of learning, but they would not come into the top 200 university list!

You know full well that I meant Pedant, which emphasis's my point even further! Twisted Evil

ped·ant   [ped-nt]

noun

1. a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of learning.

2. a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details.

3. a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to common sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:38 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

You know full well that I meant Pedant, which emphasis's my point even further! Twisted Evil

ped·ant   [ped-nt]

noun

1. a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of learning.

2. a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details.

3. a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to common sense.

I have to agree with you there MrD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:48 pm

Sorry, I am not a lightshade! tongue

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top