Do children who bully go on to bully in adulthood?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do children who bully go on to bully in adulthood?

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:16 am

I experienced a little bullying when I was a teenager. Don't get me wrong, I was popular and I guess I was part of the "cool" group at school. However, this group of girls could be vicious. I was always on the outer edge, I think because I wouldn't be party to the abuse. I wouldn't join in then, anymore than I would do now No

Women/girls bully in a different way to men including excluding others from a group, bitchiness, secrets, teasing, ganging up on someone, spreading rumours and backstabbing. This kind of behaviour can go on for years and can have very serious effects on the victim's mental health and self esteem.

Men/boys tend to bully physically and again, this can have long reaching effects affraid

Some of the behaviour I have witnessed on-line makes uncomfortable reading (not here I hasten to add). I believe the correct term is cyber-harassment when referring to adults. When I witness it, those feelings I felt as a teenager come flooding back. I hope as adults on-line, people are better equipped to deal with it Sad

There is an enormous amount of advice on the internet about bullying. It is a serious issue and with so many methods available these days it can be worth looking into if you have little ones : http://www.bullying.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Do children who bully go on to bully in adulthood?

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:48 pm

Bullying, especially at school, can ruin lives. I know of people who, as adults, have suffered acute depression and loss of self confidence that all goes back to being bullied at school. Definitely, if children complain about it, it should always be taken seriously.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:55 pm

sassy1261 wrote:Bullying, especially at school, can ruin lives. I know of people who, as adults, have suffered acute depression and loss of self confidence that all goes back to being bullied at school. Definitely, if children complain about it, it should always be taken seriously.

Hi Sassy x

I agree and I think parents and teachers are much more aware now than perhaps in year's gone by. Today's bullying is high tech and far reaching. I can understand that children may feel despair but it is good to know that there is help out there. One of my colleagues at work told me his son was being bullied at school because he hadn't got the latest phone, he was ten at the time Sad

His Dad bought him a new one, with his son contributing to the cost. I'm glad I'm not a teenager in today's world x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Hi Sassy x

I agree and I think parents and teachers are much more aware now than perhaps in year's gone by. Today's bullying is high tech and far reaching. I can understand that children may feel despair but it is good to know that there is help out there. One of my colleagues at work told me his son was being bullied at school because he hadn't got the latest phone, he was ten at the time Sad

His Dad bought him a new one, with his son contributing to the cost. I'm glad I'm not a teenager in today's world x

Not to sure the parent dealt with that situation in the right way...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Well people today seem to have somehow lost their way in life and don't seem to be able to cope...?
Bullying, as described was never an issue in my day, kids did get PICKED on but maybe todays folk have lost the ability to either deal with it so call it BULLYING for want of a better description as its almost a fashionable word or action today...hence the mobile phone scenario as described...kids get "bullied " via text message now so WHY give them a phone?

In my area, kids bikes and mobile phones are just fodder for the mixed race gangs to steal from other kids (kids, but STILL gangs)
In MY day it was RARE for us to even take (or HAVE) any money to school at all, let alone expensive phones...and for WHAT purpose?...only to run up a totally unnecessary phone bill and to be a total nuisance with having one in school...?

Parents so doing are simply stoking up the fire...!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:51 pm

The indepenDant wrote:Well people today seem to have somehow lost their way in life and don't seem to be able to cope...?
Bullying, as described was never an issue in my day, kids did get PICKED on but maybe todays folk have lost the ability to either deal with it so call it BULLYING for want of a better description as its almost a fashionable word or action today...hence the mobile phone scenario as described...kids get "bullied " via text message now so WHY give them a phone?

In my area, kids bikes and mobile phones are just fodder for the mixed race gangs to steal from other kids (kids, but STILL gangs)
In MY day it was RARE for us to even take (or HAVE) any money to school at all, let alone expensive phones...and for WHAT purpose?...only to run up a totally unnecessary phone bill and to be a total nuisance with having one in school...?

Parents so doing are simply stoking up the fire...!

I'm going to sound ancient now but I'm only 40 honest, how times have changed affraid

No, I didn't have high tech gadgets or cash to take to school as a child. Mobile phones, portable games consoles, iPods were yet to be invented. I did have a Sony Walkman but we were never allowed to take personal items such as these to school.

I'm not a parent but the Mum's and Dad's I know seem to allow their children to take phones with them so that if their child is in trouble they can call. 10 year olds not being allowed to go to the park alone, walk to school, play out with friends without their parents knowing exactly where they are every minute.

Our parents didn't know where we were, we went out, we explored the woods, crab fishing at the beach, the local pond or stream looking for tadpoles. All kinds of "dangerous" stuff. I remember playing out with other kids from the age of 5. Are children less safe now or are parents more cautious?

There can be many reasons that children bully, as with adults. I think much of the time it can be as a result of the bully's own insecurities, low self worth. No

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

I'm going to sound ancient now but I'm only 40 honest, how times have changed affraid

No, I didn't have high tech gadgets or cash to take to school as a child. Mobile phones, portable games consoles, iPods were yet to be invented. I did have a Sony Walkman but we were never allowed to take personal items such as these to school.

I'm not a parent but the Mum's and Dad's I know seem to allow their children to take phones with them so that if their child is in trouble they can call. 10 year olds not being allowed to go to the park alone, walk to school, play out with friends without their parents knowing exactly where they are every minute.

Our parents didn't know where we were, we went out, we explored the woods, crab fishing at the beach, the local pond or stream looking for tadpoles. All kinds of "dangerous" stuff. I remember playing out with other kids from the age of 5. Are children less safe now or are parents more cautious?

There can be many reasons that children bully, as with adults. I think much of the time it can be as a result of the bully's own insecurities, low self worth. No

What has happened is the twats have taken the power away from the parents and given it to the kids... No

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:20 am

My other half is a teacher and every day she has at least 10 kids telling her they are being bullied, when they blatantly aren't as someone has already said there is a big difference between actual bullying and being picked on a few time.

As a guy, if you weren't picked on at school, you didn't have any friends, it is generally banter.

At my school we dealt with bullying in an effective way. generally bullying happened in the lower half of high school, when some one from one year kept picking in someone from a lower year. we sent a few of the rugby team to have 'words' with the bully, it usually worked.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top