James Bulger Killer Loses Bid For Freedom

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

James Bulger Killer Loses Bid For Freedom

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:41 pm

James Bulger's killer Jon Venables has lost his bid to be released on parole from his sentence for downloading and distributing indecent images of children.

Venables, who abducted the two-year-old in Bootle, Merseyside, in February 1993 along with Robert Thompson, was sentenced to two years last July.

James' mother Denise Fergus confirmed on Twitter: "Good news all just heard Venables is not getting released xxx."

A spokesman for the Parole Board said it had reviewed Venables' case to decide whether he could be moved to an open prison or released. "A three-member panel of the board, chaired by a judge, held an oral hearing to review the case and come to a decision," he said. "That decision has been communicated to the two parties to the proceedings - the prisoner, the Secretary of State and also, via the Secretary of State, to the families of the victim in this case."

The board decided against releasing Venables or moving him to an open prison

Venables' case for parole will not be considered again for at least another year, but will be reviewed by July 2013 at the latest. The board had to decide whether Venables still posed a risk to the public and considered the nature of the offence, the prisoner's offending history, and his progress in jail.

It also heard James' father, Ralph, describe the "daily nightmare" of life since his son's murder.

Venables and Thompson were 10 when they abducted the toddler from a shopping centre and walked him several miles to a railway line, where they tortured and killed him. They were convicted of murder and served eight years in prison before being freed and issued with secret new identities.

Denise Fergus tweeted her relief at the parole board decision

Venables was released on licence in 2001. Mr Bulger's solicitor, Robin Makin, said the authorities had shown an "inability to cope" with putting Venables back into society in an area adjacent to Merseyside.

Mr Makin claimed not enough attention had been paid to the sexual element of the murder and that previous reports were "fundamentally flawed". He said: "The authorities just don't want to see what is there - the sexual element, how that has undoubtedly scarred Jon Venables all his life and came to manifest itself later on."

Venables' case for parole will not be considered again for at least another year, but will be reviewed by July 2013 at the latest, the Parole Board said.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/James-Bulgers-Killer-Jon-Venables-Loses-Bid-For-Parole/Article/201106416019686?lpos=UK_News_First_UK_News_Article_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_16019686_James_Bulgers_Killer_Jon_Venables_Loses_Bid_For_Parole

The safety of the public, of innocent children should ALWAYS come first. Every single time Sad

Back to top Go down

Re: James Bulger Killer Loses Bid For Freedom

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Thank goodness they showed showed some sense this time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:05 am

They are merely saying things that sound like common sense.

I will believe only in 40 years time if he is STILL locked up!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:13 am

Also the only reason that James Bulger has been remembered is entirely down to his mother's continuing efforts on his behalf despite continual harassment on internet forums and the like that she is obsessed apparently and her mental state is questioned.

She must be a huge pain in the bum to the establishment who wish to rush us into a society where justice is no longer our right and the criminals rights take precedent over those of the victims and their families. I'm talking Levi Bellafield here and Millie Dowler's families.

These complicated CRB checks have not particularly helped make the world safer for children but have meant that parents for example cannot help keep schools open this coming Thursday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:28 am

Good for her, and my she carry on being a pain in the bum to the establishment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:31 pm

I cannot possibly imagine what this poor woman has been (and continues) through! Sad

This scum is pure evil and should have been strung up originally, then we wouldn't have this problem! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Embarassed I wont give my opinion of Mrs Fergus then...

It is right of course that Venables be kept locked up. Regardless of anything he says now it is clear is a danger to both himself and others.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:15 pm

eilzel wrote: Embarassed I wont give my opinion of Mrs Fergus then...

Why not, because it's different from mine? Question

Be glad to hear it eilzel! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:19 pm

Mrs Fergus has had an unenviable task throughout her life.

She has had to watch her son's killers been offered so much sympathy and understanding, and it seems in Venables case, many chances. More chances than poor Jamie ever received.

I commend her basically for all the work she has put into this and has kept her dignity throughout.

At 10 years old those boys knew what they were doing. I have 10 year od nephews and believe me they DO know right from wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Seren wrote:Mrs Fergus has had an unenviable task throughout her life.

She has had to watch her son's killers been offered so much sympathy and understanding, and it seems in Venables case, many chances. More chances than poor Jamie ever received.

I commend her basically for all the work she has put into this and has kept her dignity throughout.

At 10 years old those boys knew what they were doing. I have 10 year od nephews and believe me they DO know right from wrong.

Correct! Twisted Evil

The age of criminal responsibility is 10 in this UK and prove why we need a death penalty in this Country!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:25 pm

I doubt that the UK will ever reintroduce a death penalty but one of the terms for abolishing it was that life would mean life but somebody has reneged on the deal it seems

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:29 pm

I would never agree to a death penalty and for children I find the idea morally corrupt in every aspect. There have been too many cases of people found guilty of murder only for it to be proved the other way a few years down the line.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Seren wrote:I doubt that the UK will ever reintroduce a death penalty but one of the terms for abolishing it was that life would mean life but somebody has reneged on the deal it seems

We will never get the chance to vote on it, as over half of the public want it! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/747748-half-of-us-back-death-penalty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:13 am

MrDoodles wrote:

Why not, because it's different from mine? Question

Be glad to hear it eilzel! Twisted Evil

Ok, but please don't shoot me down for this ok Smile

Whilst having huge sympathy for Mrs Fergus, as we all do, over the loss of her son, I feel she has turned this whole ordeal into a media circus. I don't blame her alone for this however. Her well intentioned wish to get justice was latched onto and warped by the hostile tabloid press. The have slapped her and the faces of her sons killers on the front pages at EVERY opportunity, winding up public opinion, initially calling for the deaths of children themselves (oh the irony)!

I feel the whole family has now been dragged through the mud, the story should have been removed from this kind of presentation long ago. Things like the tweet about Venables only serve to make this look like a popularity seeking vengeance frenzy now, whether it is or not. I appreciate the suffering endured by Mrs Fergus, but she is not the law, she cannot and should not dictate law and tbh, though I have sympathy, I have little respect for how she carried this on Neutral

As I said, don't shoot me down...

As for the age of criminal responsibility; yes 10 year olds DO know right from wrong. But they have no idea the psychological impact on themselves or the family of their victims their deed would have had. It is naively simply to assume the fact they knew what they did was wrong and would therefore warrant the full penalty; when as kids, they would have no idea of just how longterm their acts would effect them. The AOCR for me, would be between 14 and 16.

And the Death Penalty would only be acceptable in 100% proof cases of serial murderers or paedophiles- and since we can never be that sure, generally, I oppose it. For kids- no question.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:26 am

eilzel wrote:

Ok, but please don't shoot me down for this ok Smile

Whilst having huge sympathy for Mrs Fergus, as we all do, over the loss of her son, I feel she has turned this whole ordeal into a media circus. I don't blame her alone for this however. Her well intentioned wish to get justice was latched onto and warped by the hostile tabloid press. The have slapped her and the faces of her sons killers on the front pages at EVERY opportunity, winding up public opinion, initially calling for the deaths of children themselves (oh the irony)!

I feel the whole family has now been dragged through the mud, the story should have been removed from this kind of presentation long ago. Things like the tweet about Venables only serve to make this look like a popularity seeking vengeance frenzy now, whether it is or not. I appreciate the suffering endured by Mrs Fergus, but she is not the law, she cannot and should not dictate law and tbh, though I have sympathy, I have little respect for how she carried this on Neutral

As I said, don't shoot me down...

As for the age of criminal responsibility; yes 10 year olds DO know right from wrong. But they have no idea the psychological impact on themselves or the family of their victims their deed would have had. It is naively simply to assume the fact they knew what they did was wrong and would therefore warrant the full penalty; when as kids, they would have no idea of just how longterm their acts would effect them. The AOCR for me, would be between 14 and 16.

And the Death Penalty would only be acceptable in 100% proof cases of serial murderers or paedophiles- and since we can never be that sure, generally, I oppose it. For kids- no question.

So, let me get this right then eilzel and please correct me if I'm wrong! Twisted Evil

You class Jamie Bulgers mother as a "Professional Victim", 10 year olds DO know the difference between right and wrong, you'd like to see the death penalty for paedophiles, unless of course they are 10 years old! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

So, a question for you eilzel, IF you DO want the death penalty for paedophiles and you accept that 10 year olds know the difference between right and wrong, at what age WOULD you start killing them and IF that's above 10, what's the point of having a "Criminal age of responsibility"? Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:30 am

I think you have over simplified my post there MrD.

I said they do know right from wrong; but are in no way aware on psychological extent to which something is wrong. It is a huge area of concern.

I would like to see the Death Penalty for serial offending paedophiles. Since everyone is deserving of a second chance imo (depending on the severity of the initial crime, and in this case the age of the guilty party). And reform is not completley a waste of time.

Robert Thompson, as far as we know, stands as a good example of WHY I wouldn't want to execute children and how sometimes a second chance can work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:35 am

eilzel wrote:I think you have over simplified my post there MrD.

I said they do know right from wrong; but are in no way aware on psychological extent to which something is wrong. It is a huge area of concern.

I would like to see the Death Penalty for serial offending paedophiles. Since everyone is deserving of a second chance imo (depending on the severity of the initial crime, and in this case the age of the guilty party). And reform is not completley a waste of time.

So you'd prefer for more than one childs life to be ruined (and that of their families) BEFORE you kill them, that's a VERY Liberal view! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

As for me, let's see how many people want to fiddle with kids after watching a hanging on Prime time TV in HD!!! Twisted Evil

And definitely NO re-offending!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:39 am

Paephilia occurred even when we had the Death Penalty.

As for one more child. It is tragic, but if we had a system that worked (that is, one that allows redemption AND punishment); it wouldn't happen. Which is an unrealistic ideal I admit.

But I don't take the simplistic black and white approach to crime and punishment MrD. Certainly some cases will be so bad that execution would be agreeable; but some are not so easily decided imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:45 am

eilzel wrote:But I don't take the simplistic black and white approach to crime and punishment MrD. Certainly some cases will be so bad that execution would be agreeable; but some are not so easily decided imo.

Sorry eilzel, we've had 50 years of the LW, "do-gooders" approach and look where it's got us! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

It's time for a change! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:47 am

50 years??? Most of that time we have had a Conservative Government which in the 80's what VERY RW! In fact, this whole thing occurred during a Conservative administration.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:08 am

eilzel wrote:50 years??? Most of that time we have had a Conservative Government which in the 80's what VERY RW! In fact, this whole thing occurred during a Conservative administration.

The change in attitudes towards prisoners sentencing and their "Welfare", started in the 1960's, when The Howard League for Penal Reform, starting to place pressure on changes in prisoners conditions. Twisted Evil

The 1960's are now 50 years ago eilzel and just because we had a RW Government in the 1980's doesn't mean that the Prison system wasn't being influenced by lentil eating do-gooders! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:18 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

The change in attitudes towards prisoners sentencing and their "Welfare", started in the 1960's, when The Howard League for Penal Reform, starting to place pressure on changes in prisoners conditions. Twisted Evil

The 1960's are now 50 years ago eilzel and just because we had a RW Government in the 1980's doesn't mean that the Prison system wasn't being influenced by lentil eating do-gooders! Evil or Very Mad

You seem to forget, somewhat conveniently, Mr D, that prior to the abolition of the DP in the 60's someone had to be 18 AT THE TIME OF COMMITING THE CRIME to be executed. There was not and had not been for a long while a DP for children. Much as you and I agree in broad terms withe what is wrong with this mess called Britain, I find your willingness to commit such a brutal act somewhat disturbing.......
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:29 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

You seem to forget, somewhat conveniently, Mr D, that prior to the abolition of the DP in the 60's someone had to be 18 AT THE TIME OF COMMITING THE CRIME to be executed. There was not and had not been for a long while a DP for children. Much as you and I agree in broad terms withe what is wrong with this mess called Britain, I find your willingness to commit such a brutal act somewhat disturbing.......

wow extreme.

did MrD really advocate the death penalty for 10 year olds Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Seren wrote:

wow extreme.

did MrD really advocate the death penalty for 10 year olds Shocked

If you don't want the punishment, don't do the crime! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:14 am

MrDoodles wrote:

If you don't want the punishment, don't do the crime! Evil or Very Mad

I would say from the above remark that Mr D indeed was advocating the death penalty for 10 year olds! Like Eilsel, I not only find that disturbing, I find it sick in the extreme.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top