Udder Genius: Daisy The Cow's Great Escape

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Udder Genius: Daisy The Cow's Great Escape

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:58 pm

A farmer whose herd of cattle kept escaping each night had a shock when he installed CCTV - only to discover it was an inside job.

By day, Tom Grant drives a tractor. By night, he solves mysteries - mysteries like cows on the move! He was locking his cattle inside each night but finding them outside each morning. Tom said: "I was a wee bit suspicious because I thought there was a bit of rustling in the area and that maybe there were boys about during the night trying to steal one of them."

If cattle rustlers were targeting his farm on the Irish border, Tom was determined to catch them. His brother Vincent mounted surveillance and discovered it was an inside job. Daisy - that's Daisy the cow - had her captors licked. She was using her tongue to open the two bars on the gate and lead the herd to freedom. They were witnessing "udder" genius.

Daisy and her fellow escapee pals

Vincent Grant: "I was amazed. I never saw anything like it before and thought here is a cow with unusual intelligence. It is something to capture on camera."

Daisy has not only mastered the skill of picking locks, she has become an internet sensation. Pictures of the great escape on the hills of South Armagh are trending on Twitter. Her owner - a fan of George Orwell's Animal Farm - says it puts paid to the theory that cows are dumb animals. He thinks it is time for more research on the bovine brain. The jail-breaking heifer is the pride of her herd - a new outlaw in Ulster's so-called 'Bandit Country'. Few would question her intelligence or skill. She's just too modest to moo about it.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Strange-News/Daisy-The-Cow-Mystery-Of-Farmers-Cows-Esapes-Each-Night-Is-Solved-By-Hidden-Camera/Article/201106316013811?lpos=Strange_News_First_UK_News_Feature_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_16013811_Daisy_The_Cow%3A_Mystery_Of_Farmers_Cows_Esapes_Each_Night_Is_Solved_By_Hidden_Camera

lol! I used to have a hamster which would escape from his cage overnight, steal various items and take them back to his bed. It took us ages to work out how he did it. He was lucky, our cats were scared of him affraid

Back to top Go down

Re: Udder Genius: Daisy The Cow's Great Escape

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Absolutely brilliant. Nobody can say cows are silly lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Feelthelove wrote:A farmer whose herd of cattle kept escaping each night had a shock when he installed CCTV - only to discover it was an inside job.

By day, Tom Grant drives a tractor. By night, he solves mysteries - mysteries like cows on the move! He was locking his cattle inside each night but finding them outside each morning. Tom said: "I was a wee bit suspicious because I thought there was a bit of rustling in the area and that maybe there were boys about during the night trying to steal one of them."

If cattle rustlers were targeting his farm on the Irish border, Tom was determined to catch them. His brother Vincent mounted surveillance and discovered it was an inside job. Daisy - that's Daisy the cow - had her captors licked. She was using her tongue to open the two bars on the gate and lead the herd to freedom. They were witnessing "udder" genius.

Daisy and her fellow escapee pals

Vincent Grant: "I was amazed. I never saw anything like it before and thought here is a cow with unusual intelligence. It is something to capture on camera."

Daisy has not only mastered the skill of picking locks, she has become an internet sensation. Pictures of the great escape on the hills of South Armagh are trending on Twitter. Her owner - a fan of George Orwell's Animal Farm - says it puts paid to the theory that cows are dumb animals. He thinks it is time for more research on the bovine brain. The jail-breaking heifer is the pride of her herd - a new outlaw in Ulster's so-called 'Bandit Country'. Few would question her intelligence or skill. She's just too modest to moo about it.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Strange-News/Daisy-The-Cow-Mystery-Of-Farmers-Cows-Esapes-Each-Night-Is-Solved-By-Hidden-Camera/Article/201106316013811?lpos=Strange_News_First_UK_News_Feature_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_16013811_Daisy_The_Cow%3A_Mystery_Of_Farmers_Cows_Esapes_Each_Night_Is_Solved_By_Hidden_Camera

lol! I used to have a hamster which would escape from his cage overnight, steal various items and take them back to his bed. It took us ages to work out how he did it. He was lucky, our cats were scared of him affraid

thank goodness...FTL a nice animal story.... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:00 pm

redcorvette wrote:

thank goodness...FTL a nice animal story.... Smile

Thanks Red! I do quite often post nice animal stories in Chit Chat, Science and Technology and Environment and Wildlife Conservation. It's just that animal cruelty drives me insane Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:03 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Thanks Red! I do quite often post nice animal stories in Chit Chat, Science and Technology and Environment and Wildlife Conservation. It's just that animal cruelty drives me insane Evil or Very Mad

Me too! Did you read the one about a Jewish court that ordered a large dog stoned to death by children (BY CHILDREN!!!!!!!) because the judge thought it was a reincarnation of a previous judge who had put a curse on the court!!!!! Luckily and animal charity rescued it. You couldn't make it up, could you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:16 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Me too! Did you read the one about a Jewish court that ordered a large dog stoned to death by children (BY CHILDREN!!!!!!!) because the judge thought it was a reincarnation of a previous judge who had put a curse on the court!!!!! Luckily and animal charity rescued it. You couldn't make it up, could you!

I haven't seen that one Sassy, it's heartbreaking. I just don't understand how people could be so evil. I feel the same about cruelty and the abuse of children. So innocent and trusting, I don't know how people live with themselves Sad

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top