Antlers ripped off the heads of deers and stags sold on eBay for just £10

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Antlers ripped off the heads of deers and stags sold on eBay for just £10

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Antlers are being ripped off the heads of deer and stags to be sold on eBay for as little as £10, police have said. The mutilated carcasses of several beasts have been found in Abergele and Bodelwyddan, North Wales, after falling victim to poachers. In one incident a severed head was found in woodland while the deer's body and antlers had been taken away.

Bodelwyddan Castle in North Wales, set in countryside where poachers have been killing deer for their antlers

Some venison steaks are going for £4 to £5 on the auctioning website and royal stag antlers - which can be used to carved into walking stick handles - can fetch as much as £90. The problem has become such an issue that a police helicopter has been drafted in the hope that its thermal imaging camera will be able to spot the poachers.

Sergeant Rob Taylor, wildlife officer for North Wales Police, said deer are being targeted by gangs in woodland near both villages. However there are fears the poachers are also hunting in other parts of the countryside. 'We take any wildlife crime extremely seriously and will be increasing patrols in the area where these incidents have happened. The message to poachers is North Wales Police will find you and you will be prosecuted.'

Kinmel Estate owner, Dickon Fetherstonhaugh, said that his herd has been attacked in the past and he is delighted that the police are addressing the problem. 'For too long, deer poaching has not been a priority.'

In March 2010, North Wales Police ran an investigation called Operation Tulip to catch potential poachers and executed search warrants after a spate on incidents in Conwy and Denbighshire. Police arrested three men in their 40s in raids on three houses in Kinmel Bay and Prestatyn, and they seized bags of frozen venison. One house had half a freezer full of frozen venison. There were around 20 joints of deer meat in another house. One of the men was given a police caution under the Hunting Act 2004. The other two men were released without charge.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1393155/Antlers-ripped-heads-deers-stags-sold-eBay-just-10.html#ixzz1O32wA3vy

Is there nothing people will do for money? Sad Surely these people can be caught via their E-bay accounts/Computers? No

Back to top Go down

Re: Antlers ripped off the heads of deers and stags sold on eBay for just £10

Post by victorismyhero on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:52 pm

Feelthelove wrote:Antlers are being ripped off the heads of deer and stags to be sold on eBay for as little as £10, police have said. The mutilated carcasses of several beasts have been found in Abergele and Bodelwyddan, North Wales, after falling victim to poachers. In one incident a severed head was found in woodland while the deer's body and antlers had been taken away.

Bodelwyddan Castle in North Wales, set in countryside where poachers have been killing deer for their antlers

Some venison steaks are going for £4 to £5 on the auctioning website and royal stag antlers - which can be used to carved into walking stick handles - can fetch as much as £90. The problem has become such an issue that a police helicopter has been drafted in the hope that its thermal imaging camera will be able to spot the poachers.

Sergeant Rob Taylor, wildlife officer for North Wales Police, said deer are being targeted by gangs in woodland near both villages. However there are fears the poachers are also hunting in other parts of the countryside. 'We take any wildlife crime extremely seriously and will be increasing patrols in the area where these incidents have happened. The message to poachers is North Wales Police will find you and you will be prosecuted.'

Kinmel Estate owner, Dickon Fetherstonhaugh, said that his herd has been attacked in the past and he is delighted that the police are addressing the problem. 'For too long, deer poaching has not been a priority.'

In March 2010, North Wales Police ran an investigation called Operation Tulip to catch potential poachers and executed search warrants after a spate on incidents in Conwy and Denbighshire. Police arrested three men in their 40s in raids on three houses in Kinmel Bay and Prestatyn, and they seized bags of frozen venison. One house had half a freezer full of frozen venison. There were around 20 joints of deer meat in another house. One of the men was given a police caution under the Hunting Act 2004. The other two men were released without charge.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1393155/Antlers-ripped-heads-deers-stags-sold-eBay-just-10.html#ixzz1O32wA3vy

Is there nothing people will do for money? Sad Surely these people can be caught via their E-bay accounts/Computers? No

Hmmm...so what exactly IS the crime you are getting so hot under the collar about FTL.....surely it cant be because the poachers (who, btw I have no sympathy for). are shooting deer? After all they would most liely be shot as part of a "cull" by the owners and the antlers and meat sold on the open market. the crime here of course is financial...the theft of an asset, venison and antler from the "landowner" and also public health, since the meat will not have been butchered particularly hygenically, nor will it have been inspected.
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:23 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

Hmmm...so what exactly IS the crime you are getting so hot under the collar about FTL.....surely it cant be because the poachers (who, btw I have no sympathy for). are shooting deer? After all they would most liely be shot as part of a "cull" by the owners and the antlers and meat sold on the open market. the crime here of course is financial...the theft of an asset, venison and antler from the "landowner" and also public health, since the meat will not have been butchered particularly hygenically, nor will it have been inspected.

Hi Victor, hope you're well I love you x

I think by now everyone will know I love animals. I was brought up in a very rural area and was lucky enough to see wild deer often. Those memories are precious and not everyone is so fortunate.

However, as much as I hate it, I know that deer will be culled by landowners. The financial loss to the landowners means nothing to me. The potential suffering of innocent animals, yes, I care a great deal Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top