Package A or B?

100% 100% 
[ 4 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 4

Re: Which would you prefer

Post by I'm the king on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:33 am

I'd say the unions and Thatcher have to share the blame a little, though I understand why Thatcher wanted to reduce some of our manufacturing.

Although I disagree with the sentiment I love this song

Thatcher f***ed the kids

WARNING: explicit lyrics

And I do see the Irony in it being sung by someone who went to Eton

I'm the king
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:00 pm

I don't know if it's a generational issue or not, but, like Mr.D. I wish my country was how it used to be, but sadly it never will return to those days of Gt. Britain, Rule Brittania. Those days are now long gone and we, like America, are now a multi-national country, like it or not.
Mention was made of China's bowl of rice for a days pay. I don't think it is quite like that anymore, for China has realisd that to get world trade exports, and not be blacklisted by the West, she has to behave in a more humane way. Yes for years Britain had the edge on scientific and medical brainpower, we did lead the world in research and education, but now the world is so open to just about anyone and everyone, and with migrations, -both ways- scientific achievements and advances are now global. There can never be a going back to how we were.

To quote an old song: 'The times, they are a changing.' We must also change even though we are reluctant to do so. I'd like to shut my door against what is happening to our country but of course, it will still be there, like an incoming tide, swishing and coursing into my life.
stardesk

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm the king on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:33 pm

stardesk wrote:I don't know if it's a generational issue or not, but, like Mr.D. I wish my country was how it used to be, but sadly it never will return to those days of Gt. Britain, Rule Brittania. Those days are now long gone and we, like America, are now a multi-national country, like it or not.
Mention was made of China's bowl of rice for a days pay. I don't think it is quite like that anymore, for China has realisd that to get world trade exports, and not be blacklisted by the West, she has to behave in a more humane way. Yes for years Britain had the edge on scientific and medical brainpower, we did lead the world in research and education, but now the world is so open to just about anyone and everyone, and with migrations, -both ways- scientific achievements and advances are now global. There can never be a going back to how we were.

To quote an old song: 'The times, they are a changing.' We must also change even though we are reluctant to do so. I'd like to shut my door against what is happening to our country but of course, it will still be there, like an incoming tide, swishing and coursing into my life.

Stardesk, we are still way out in front in terms of science and medicine. For only having 1% (roughly) the worlds population we produce just over 10% of all scientific papers. Cambridge, Oxford, Glasgow and Dundee are still in the top 5 or 6 places to do research.

As for china, I suspect it still goes on, just they are less open about it.

I'm the king
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi King. I'm sure you're right there about our academic achievements and to add to that, my county's UEA in Norwich has clocked up some excellent scientific research, both with medicine and environmental issues.

Ah, yes, indeed what goes on behind closed doors, ref your comment about China. We only know what we are told by the media, but in reality do we know what goes on behind closed parliamentary doors? Very often we have a stupid law thrown at us by the EU without any forewarning. What are they planning now, I wonder. But if we came out of the EU we would be plunged into an even deeper recess, for it would take a long time to promote world trade exports, by our manufacturers, what few are left. Many have gone to the wall and it would take years for Britain to rebuild our once world-dominating industries.
stardesk

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm the king on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm

The UEA is getting a good name for itself (bar emailgate) and who knows, could be up there with the best in the world in no time. Who would have had Dundee there even 10 years ago?

The problem with British folk is we are far too good at being self deprecating and rubbish at saying what we are good at, which has meant we have convinceed ourselves that everything is rubbish

I'm the king
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:55 pm

I don't know about the 'rubbish' bit. I think our problem is we're too complacent. Anything will do, any way, any how, it'll be alright in the end. It'll sort itself out. But does it? When something goes wrong it's always someone else's fault, or the fault of the government.

What came to my mind this morning was, if thousands of people took to the streets and demanded the government stand down in favour of another party, what would happen. Would we have a Libyan or Syrian scenario whereby the authorities would call out the army and police to try to stop it?
stardesk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:24 pm

I am absolutely sure that would happen Stardesk, governments don't like to be questioned and they would probably say 'wait for the next election' while making sure that people were put in their place very quickly.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top