The British woman braving Fukushima radiation zone to save abandoned quake dogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The British woman braving Fukushima radiation zone to save abandoned quake dogs

Post by Guest on Sun May 29, 2011 9:43 am

They are the forgotten victims of the Japanese tsunami; the countless pets abandoned by their owners as they fled fallout from the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant. But one British woman is braving the potentially lethal radiation levels to rescue animals left to die in the eerie ghost towns of the 12-mile evacuation zone.

So far, 70-year-old Elizabeth Oliver, originally from Somerset, has saved 197 dogs and 17 cats from the area, which she enters wearing a protective suit and carrying a Geiger counter.

After the evacuation, residents were allowed back for two hours to collect essentials – but were told to leave pets tethered in front of houses, for authorities to collect.

Yet in ten days, just 15 of an estimated 20,000 pets were picked up. Miss Oliver, who has lived in Japan for more than 40 years, said: ‘Even when animals are cut free they often refuse to leave their homes, believing their owners will return.’ One rescued dog is an English setter she named Frostbite. He was found wandering hungry in an area called Nami-cho. His owners had cut him loose so he could fend for himself, but he had become terrified and aggressive. Under Miss Oliver’s care he became gentle again.

She has now tracked down Frostbite’s owners – but they are still living in an evacuation centre, so their pet must remain in Miss Oliver’s Animals Rescue Kansai shelter in Osaka, more than 400 miles from the affected area. After animals arrive there, she advertises them for three months in an attempt to reunite them with their owners before putting them up for rehoming.

During one visit to the evacuation zone, she encountered a particularly hellish scene: ‘I saw a farmer sitting amid the carcasses of nine horses that had starved to death. The 20 horses still alive were in appalling shape. Police had refused to let anyone back into the zone with feed.’ The farmer said he was going to kill them rather than let them starve, but Miss Oliver arranged for them to be rescued.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391988/The-British-woman-braving-Fukushima-radiation-zone-save-abandoned-quake-dogs.html#ixzz1NjVJrokH

What an amazing woman I love you x

Back to top Go down

Re: The British woman braving Fukushima radiation zone to save abandoned quake dogs

Post by Guest on Sun May 29, 2011 10:22 am

I take it that there are no abandoned dogs in this Country then? Question

Back to top Go down

Re: The British woman braving Fukushima radiation zone to save abandoned quake dogs

Post by Guest on Sun May 29, 2011 10:24 am

Is there no Japanese animal lovers who could do the same job thus freeing up Ms Oliver to look after abandoned animals in this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Stop ruining my feel good story Fred and Mr Doodles!!! Sad

Miss Oliver has lived in Japan for 40 years and has saved 197 dogs and 17 cats so far. Animals who would have had little chance of survival without her help. As I said, an amazing lady, if only there were more like her I love you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 29, 2011 10:35 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Miss Oliver has lived in Japan for 40 years and has saved 197 dogs and 17 cats so far. Animals who would have had little chance of survival without her help. As I said, an amazing lady, if only there were more like her I love you

Surely then working on what sassy tells me, the woman is now Japanese, rather than British! Wink lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 30, 2011 9:20 am

Feelthelove wrote:Stop ruining my feel good story Fred and Mr Doodles!!! Sad

What a true amazing lady xxx bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 30, 2011 11:10 am

MrDoodles wrote:

Surely then working on what sassy tells me, the woman is now Japanese, rather than British! Wink lol!

So why is she being referred to as British when she is Japanese ?. The thread title is very misleading. Does anybody know if she has Japanese citizenship ?.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 30, 2011 2:28 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

You just love twisting everything don't you? To be honest, its beginning to put me off this site. You can't even be happy that this lovely lady has managed to rescue all these animals who would have had a very horrible death without her. I'm not going into the British thing, we are talking about something brilliant and I am not going to bring it down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 30, 2011 2:29 pm

fred bloggs wrote:

So why is she being referred to as British when she is Japanese ?. The thread title is very misleading. Does anybody know if she has Japanese citizenship ?.

Are you pleased the animals have been saved or don't you care.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 30, 2011 3:08 pm

fred bloggs wrote:

Fred, Fred, Fred.....what will I do with you??? lol!

It doesn't matter really does it? I posted this thread because I know many of us were concerned about the animals left behind following the Japanese disaster. It's great that there is someone out there prepared to help. A great lady cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 30, 2011 5:35 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Fred, Fred, Fred.....what will I do with you??? lol!

It doesn't matter really does it? I posted this thread because I know many of us were concerned about the animals left behind following the Japanese disaster. It's great that there is someone out there prepared to help. A great lady cheers

Of course she is FTL, and I think she has done a wonderful job. I sometimes like to play the devils advocate, and since Mr D raised a point about nationality, I carried on in the same vein. All done in tongue in cheek way. Of course her nationality doesn't matter, what matters is that someone has been kind enough to look after those unfortunate animals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 30, 2011 6:51 pm

fred bloggs wrote:

Of course she is FTL, and I think she has done a wonderful job. I sometimes like to play the devils advocate, and since Mr D raised a point about nationality, I carried on in the same vein. All done in tongue in cheek way. Of course her nationality doesn't matter, what matters is that someone has been kind enough to look after those unfortunate animals.

Ahhh thanks Fred xxx That Mr Doodles leading you astray, wait till I see him, naughty Wink lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 31, 2011 2:50 pm

Feelthelove wrote:They are the forgotten victims of the Japanese tsunami; the countless pets abandoned by their owners as they fled fallout from the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant. But one British woman is braving the potentially lethal radiation levels to rescue animals left to die in the eerie ghost towns of the 12-mile evacuation zone.

So far, 70-year-old Elizabeth Oliver, originally from Somerset, has saved 197 dogs and 17 cats from the area, which she enters wearing a protective suit and carrying a Geiger counter.

After the evacuation, residents were allowed back for two hours to collect essentials – but were told to leave pets tethered in front of houses, for authorities to collect.

Yet in ten days, just 15 of an estimated 20,000 pets were picked up. Miss Oliver, who has lived in Japan for more than 40 years, said: ‘Even when animals are cut free they often refuse to leave their homes, believing their owners will return.’ One rescued dog is an English setter she named Frostbite. He was found wandering hungry in an area called Nami-cho. His owners had cut him loose so he could fend for himself, but he had become terrified and aggressive. Under Miss Oliver’s care he became gentle again.

She has now tracked down Frostbite’s owners – but they are still living in an evacuation centre, so their pet must remain in Miss Oliver’s Animals Rescue Kansai shelter in Osaka, more than 400 miles from the affected area. After animals arrive there, she advertises them for three months in an attempt to reunite them with their owners before putting them up for rehoming.

During one visit to the evacuation zone, she encountered a particularly hellish scene: ‘I saw a farmer sitting amid the carcasses of nine horses that had starved to death. The 20 horses still alive were in appalling shape. Police had refused to let anyone back into the zone with feed.’ The farmer said he was going to kill them rather than let them starve, but Miss Oliver arranged for them to be rescued.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391988/The-British-woman-braving-Fukushima-radiation-zone-save-abandoned-quake-dogs.html#ixzz1NjVJrokH

What an amazing woman I love you x

Hi, FTL....does'nt matter what her nationality is...she is getting out there and is doing an unselfish act.....good for her....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 31, 2011 3:19 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

You just love twisting everything don't you? To be honest, its beginning to put me off this site. You can't even be happy that this lovely lady has managed to rescue all these animals who would have had a very horrible death without her. I'm not going into the British thing, we are talking about something brilliant and I am not going to bring it down.

Don't let me stop you leaving! Evil or Very Mad

I'm just pointing out how your whole Lefty Liberal views on Immigration into this Country are completely disingenuous! Twisted Evil

You're always going on about how any waif and stray becomes "British" as soon as they land at Dover, yet this woman who has spent 40 years in Japan, is still considered "British" and not "Japanese", which is of course, completely correct, as those who come here, will never be "English"! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 31, 2011 3:53 pm

MrD it does not matter at all!! What matters is the animals she is rescuing Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 31, 2011 3:58 pm

David wrote:MrD it does not matter at all!! What matters is the animals she is rescuing Evil or Very Mad

She's clearly doing fantastic work, but I still find it interesting that despite living for 40 years in Japan, she's till referred to as "British" Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

If the boot was on the other foot, do you think the woman would be referred to as being "Japanese"? Question Question

Of course not! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 31, 2011 6:10 pm

It still does not matter! As far as I am concerned animal rescuers are selfless and frontierless cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:14 am

MrDoodles wrote:

She's clearly doing fantastic work, but I still find it interesting that despite living for 40 years in Japan, she's till referred to as "British" Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

If the boot was on the other foot, do you think the woman would be referred to as being "Japanese"? Question Question

Of course not! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

The Mail would probably refer to her as a first generation immigrant.

'However, an English woman chose to take another path and tries to introduce the love of animals from England to Japan.

Her name is Elizabeth Oliver. Born in Summerset, England, in 1940, she came to Kansai 30 years ago as an English teacher. When she started to live in Kansai, she could not ignore stray dogs and cats on the streets. She started to rescue those animals one by one with her friends. Pretty soon, the number of animals in her care rose to almost 40. She started a small animal group in 1990 with four volunteers. She named her group ARK that stands for Animal Refuge Kansai.'

http://www.japanupdate.com/?id=3084

Please note, no criticism of her trying to change attitudes. She obviously didn't move there and blend in. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:31 am

molly wrote:

The Mail would probably refer to her as a first generation immigrant.

'However, an English woman chose to take another path and tries to introduce the love of animals from England to Japan.

Her name is Elizabeth Oliver. Born in Summerset, England, in 1940, she came to Kansai 30 years ago as an English teacher. When she started to live in Kansai, she could not ignore stray dogs and cats on the streets. She started to rescue those animals one by one with her friends. Pretty soon, the number of animals in her care rose to almost 40. She started a small animal group in 1990 with four volunteers. She named her group ARK that stands for Animal Refuge Kansai.'

http://www.japanupdate.com/?id=3084

Please note, no criticism of her trying to change attitudes. She obviously didn't move there and blend in. Wink

Not every culture shares our sentimentality towards animals. During my years campaigning for animal welfare I have had many conversations with people who just don't get kindness to animals which they view as pointless. It's very hard trying to change attitudes in other cultures I can tell you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:24 pm

Seren wrote:

Not every culture shares our sentimentality towards animals. During my years campaigning for animal welfare I have had many conversations with people who just don't get kindness to animals which they view as pointless. It's very hard trying to change attitudes in other cultures I can tell you.

Very true Seren. I had no pets as a child and didn't understand just how much you love them until I had my own as an adult. I can't bear the thought of any kind of animal cruelty. It makes me feel sick to the stomach Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:05 pm

It's difficult to understand how people can be cruel to animals but if you grow up in a culture where it is normal and that is all you know then I can understand them struggling to see it in a different way.

This lady has a good idea by teaching the children, hopefully they will bring about a change Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:53 pm

molly wrote:It's difficult to understand how people can be cruel to animals but if you grow up in a culture where it is normal and that is all you know then I can understand them struggling to see it in a different way.

This lady has a good idea by teaching the children, hopefully they will bring about a change Very Happy

Very true Molly and I hope you're right I love you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top