Potholes: One Man's Brush With The Tarmac

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Potholes: One Man's Brush With The Tarmac

Post by Guest on Thu May 26, 2011 12:51 pm

The roads are cracking up and I've got the scars to prove it.

Andy now has metal plates in his jaw

I'm recovering from a fractured jaw after slamming into a pothole at 30 miles an hour. On a bike. It was impossible to spot in the shade, but deep enough to blow both tyres and hurl me forwards over the handlebars. The first thing I knew I was sliding along the tarmac on my face. Seven visits to four different hospitals later I have metal plates in my jaw and stitches in my chin.

It's not just cyclists who are falling victim to the apparently worsening state of the nation's roads. Councils - and ultimately council taxpayers - are paying out hundreds of thousands of pounds in compensation to motorists whose vehicles have been damaged.

In Cumbria, the figure is nearly £1m in the last three years, while payouts by Hampshire County Council almost doubled to £111,000 in 2009-10 from £60,000 the year before.

The Asphalt Industry Alliance (AIA) estimates 2.2 million potholes have been filled in England and Wales in the last year, an increase of 59% over the previous twelve months. To fix the problem would cost £10.65bn, according to the AIA. Chancellor George Osborne has given town halls an extra £100m. But with budgets being squeezed it's going to be a bumpy ride for all road-users.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Potholes-Cyclist-Andy-Ivy-Tells-How-He-Fell-Into-A-Hole-At-30-Miles-An-Hour-And-Underwent-Surgery/Article/201105415999807?lpos=UK_News_Second_UK_News_Feature_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15999807_Potholes%3A_Cyclist_Andy_Ivy_Tells_How_He_Fell_Into_A_Hole_At_30_Miles_An_Hour_And_Underwent_Surgery

Ouch! And they say cycling is good for you affraid

Back to top Go down

Re: Potholes: One Man's Brush With The Tarmac

Post by Guest on Thu May 26, 2011 1:33 pm

So the amount that we need to fix the roads, corresponds almost exactly, with the amount of money that we will borrow to give away to Foreign Countries next year! Twisted Evil

Most of you voted for this, so stop bloody moaning about it! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top