For those interested in the friendship bond between Scotland and France

View previous topic View next topic Go down

For those interested in the friendship bond between Scotland and France

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:44 pm

While at school I was taught about a special historical bond between France and Scotland called the "Auld Alliance" and have heard it mentioned many times by Scots subsequently. For the past fifteen years I have spent my annual holidays touring France, (there are not many departments I've not visited). I had forgotten about the Auld Alliance until two years ago. While staying at Du Chateau de L'Eperviere on the Saone, Mrs B and I cycled to the Hypermarket in Gigny sur Saone for wine and food. Whilst chaining our bikes to the bike rack one of the security guys came over and said that it was not really necessary as he was on duty and nobody would touch our bikes. I believed him he was built like a tank. When I thanked him he noticed my accent and once he had verified I was from Scotland we had a great conversation discussing our respective countries and famous rugby players from both countries.To my surprise he brought up the subject of the Auld Alliance and his perception was identical to what I have been taught. Are there any posters on here who were either brought up in France or have spent part of their life there who have heard of this special bond? It would be interesting to find out.

Back to top Go down

Re: For those interested in the friendship bond between Scotland and France

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi Fred, I'm Scottish and I'm ashamed to say I have never heard of it, we were never taught about it at school.

I had to google it and found this:

'In 1995, celebrations were held in both countries for the 700th anniversary of the beginning of the alliance'

Never heard of any celebrations either Embarassed

Very interesting though, thanks! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:52 pm

molly wrote:Hi Fred, I'm Scottish and I'm ashamed to say I have never heard of it, we were never taught about it at school.

I had to google it and found this:

'In 1995, celebrations were held in both countries for the 700th anniversary of the beginning of the alliance'

Never heard of any celebrations either Embarassed

Very interesting though, thanks! Very Happy

You're welcome Molly Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:35 pm

Molly, I'm a bit surprised you hadn't heard of it.

It was brought about to keep that rowdy lot between us in tow Very Happy

Rumour has it, that it was named after the Scottish pub in Paris....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:50 am

Hi I'm the king, I couldn't believe it when I read it, that is something that should have been taught at school, maybe it's because I chose geography in my last years at high school I missed it but it was never taught up to that point. scratch

It does explain a lot though! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:46 am

Yeah, I think it is something you missed by taking geography, I still find it strange it isn't covered earlier as well.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top