AV Nicely buried thanks ......

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AV Nicely buried thanks ......

Post by victorismyhero on Fri May 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Britain has rejected adopting a new electoral system after the 'No To AV' campaign won a crushing victory in the referendum.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Alternative-Vote-Count-Massive-Victory-For-No-Campaign-With-Only-A-Handful-Of-Wins-For-Yes-Vote/Article/201105115986966?lpos=Politics_Top_Stories_Header_0&lid=ARTICLE_15986966_Alternative_Vote_Count%3A_Massive_Victory_For_No_Campaign_With_Only_A_Handful_Of_Wins_For_Yes_Vote

Although counting has not yet finished, the 'No' campaign has already picked up enough votes to stop 'Yes' supporters from having any chance of winning.

A total of 18.6m votes were cast across Great Britain with a provisional turnout of 41.8%, not including Northern Ireland.

The No campaign is on course to win around 69% of votes.

With 386 of 440 results declared, the No campaign has taken more than 360 regions, with the Yes vote's successes still in single figure.

Most of the regions that voted Yes to reform were in London.

Senior Lib Dems have already conceded they are set to lose the vote, which was a key plank of their coalition demands.(SNIP)

victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Re: AV Nicely buried thanks ......

Post by Guest on Sat May 07, 2011 4:13 am

70% of a 40% turnout equals to 28% of the electorate. Not very democratic if you ask me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 07, 2011 9:14 am

The British public are so stagnant it's untrue.

It dosen't matter what happens here most people, when given an option of change, say no. Perhaps it's fear, perhaps complacency, or maybe jusst lack of understanding.

That we said No based mostly on lies about costs and difficulty (apparently we are too thick to understand the system, thus condeding 'intelligence' factor to Australia, Canada, and in Englands case, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland); shows how gulliable most people are.

Perhaps people like the fact we will nearly always end up with Conservative govts.

Oh well, AV was never the real goal anyway. But no 'Electoral Reform' has be flat out denied we can expect to wait at least another 30 years before PR to even get a mention...

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Sat May 07, 2011 10:37 pm

John wrote:70% of a 40% turnout equals to 28% of the electorate. Not very democratic if you ask me!

BUT...40% turn out meets the requirements for a "quorum" so good enough.....
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 08, 2011 2:11 am

Referendums here must be passed by 66% of the electorate AND by 51% of the electorate of each state. If you established England as an entity you could have similar protections but god forbid English people have any say what goes on in England.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 10, 2011 9:37 am

Cleggy's AV was never a runner. The idea was a figment of Clegg's imagination and showed his total lack of judgement and common sense. He is not fit to lead any party, even the doomed PC obsessed Lib/Dems. This is where the tories should get back on track with their immigration policies and weeding out the NON JOBS within the public service departments, and if the Lib/Dms don't like it ----- TOUGH!!.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 10, 2011 6:10 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Cleggy's AV was never a runner. The idea was a figment of Clegg's imagination and showed his total lack of judgement and common sense. He is not fit to lead any party, even the doomed PC obsessed Lib/Dems. This is where the tories should get back on track with their immigration policies and weeding out the NON JOBS within the public service departments, and if the Lib/Dms don't like it ----- TOUGH!!.

Yeah wont work though Fred.

As I'm sure you are aware, without LibDem support the Tories command a minority government that would struggle to pass legislation. If the Liberals are upset they could scupper any Tory plans and put us on course for another General Election. Who knows how that would turn out, but I'd say that Labour are better placed now LW liberal support has collapsed and most of it swung one way.

If the LibDems don't like it, tough dosen't begin describe what would follow Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 10, 2011 6:54 pm

eilzel wrote:

Yeah wont work though Fred.

As I'm sure you are aware, without LibDem support the Tories command a minority government that would struggle to pass legislation. If the Liberals are upset they could scupper any Tory plans and put us on course for another General Election. Who knows how that would turn out, but I'd say that Labour are better placed now LW liberal support has collapsed and most of it swung one way.

If the LibDems don't like it, tough dosen't begin describe what would follow Twisted Evil

You do have a point Eilzel the conservatives cannot put the country to rights without the support of the failed Lib Dems. I would not put it past Cleggy's mob to bring this country to it's knees and make government impossible. That's what happens when the weak partner in the coalition takes the huff. I'm not a Tory supporter and in my opinion Cameron is a useless leader but the alternative is too horrible to contemplate ----- Another destructive Liebour government. --- The best thing the L/D can do is to bury their stupid PC ideals and work for the good of the country by making this government successful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 10, 2011 7:09 pm

fred bloggs wrote:

You do have a point Eilzel the conservatives cannot put the country to rights without the support of the failed Lib Dems. I would not put it past Cleggy's mob to bring this country to it's knees and make government impossible. That's what happens when the weak partner in the coalition takes the huff. I'm not a Tory supporter and in my opinion Cameron is a useless leader but the alternative is too horrible to contemplate ----- Another destructive Liebour government. --- The best thing the L/D can do is to bury their stupid PC ideals and work for the good of the country by making this government successful.

Personally I don't think the Tories are capable of doing a good job, with or without Liberal involvement.

At the same time I do not have much faith in Labour either, certainly they had failed under Browns disastrous effort as PM. And they look far from ready to resume power now.

Personally I'd have liked a LibDem administration but circa 2005 when Charles Kennedy was in charge. But a Liberal majority was never going to happen, and now probably never will.

So as you can imagine I have little hope for our establishment right now. I see us chugging along until someone from some party comes forward with real solutions. I'm lost as to where this will come from though. But optimistic enough to believe it will happen in the hopefully not too distant future Smile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top